Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Railfan Technology > Has Anyone Purchased an Apple iPhone 13-?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/09/21 14:59
Has Anyone Purchased an Apple iPhone 13-?
Author: cozephyr

Has anyone purchased the new Apple iPhone 13-?  A friend mentioned he got $800 trade-in for letting his iPhone 12 go for the new iPhone 13.  However, he hadn't used it much yet for photography (hectic work schedule).

Image 1 - Sunrise over Lake Superior at Duluth, Minnesota, September 2021.

Image 2 - =17.549999237060547pxMilwaukee Road 261 firebox at Minneapolis Junction, MN, September 2021.  Both images taken with the iPhone 12 MAX Pro.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/21 15:03 by cozephyr.

Date: 10/09/21 16:13
Re: Has Anyone Purchased an Apple iPhone 13-?
Author: photobob

The day I pay over $1100 for a phone that takes pictures please send me away to an asylum.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/21 16:25 by photobob.

Date: 10/09/21 16:39
Author: Frisco1522

I have to agree with Photobob.  Of course, I rarely use my cell phone or take pictures any more so I may be biased.
It does seem to take great photos though.  Just not for me.

Date: 10/09/21 17:23

=17.549999237060547pxAppreciated your comments Photobob. I understand.  I just can't see paying $1000 of dollars for a digital dinosaur camera that gets used occasionally when I can use the cellphone for many tasks on a daily basis.  Apps are where its at and the camera on these devices is phenomenal-!

=17.549999237060547pxLooking forward to your next post.

Date: 10/09/21 17:57
Author: ShoreLineRoute

Big step forward when the recent new iPhone added two more physical lenses (not just digital zoom).  Still a huge difference in reproduction ratio (to achieve an 8 x 10 image for example) between starting with a large format negative vs. a tiny sensor.

Oliver Barrett

Date: 10/09/21 19:48
Author: cchan006

cozephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just can't see paying $1000 of dollars for a digital
> dinosaur camera that gets used occasionally when
> I can use the cellphone for many tasks on a daily
> basis.  Apps are where its at and the camera
> on these devices is phenomenal-!

Thanks for posting those two photos. They are impressive.

"Apps" is just software, shorthand for Applications. Adobe Photoshop is also an "app" that just happens to run on different hardware. Just wanted to point it out, since many people use jargons without knowing what it really means.

I borrowed a Smartphone to take photos and videos from an overpass that was heavily fenced, where the hole was too small, even for my handheld camcorder and point-n-shoot. Smartphone camera was useful there.

As for many tasks on a daily basis, that is handy for you AND for surveillance, and that's by design. Friends, work colleagues and I had intense discussions on why I stopped using cell phones 2 decades ago, and almost all my fears have come true, especially when GPS and cellphones became integrated. I can't tell you guys "I told you so" since I didn't mention it on TO, but my friends know I'm right now.

A camera that's specific to its purpose suits me just fine. 

Date: 10/10/21 03:47
Author: robj

Tho I have seen all kinds of good photos with a cell phone  I'd point out these are non moving subjects.  There is the obvious advantage of having it with you all the and being very compact so it if is good for you that is great. 

On another note early on with cell phones it was the thing to show how good of photos one could take with a cell now that the technology has improved that is not so much of feat.

So many events, things I see , people are experiencing the moment through their cell phone, all you see are a sea cell phones pointing toward the stage etc, not sure this is an improvement of
life's experinces.

Bob

Date: 10/10/21 08:23
Author: Rivannaco

Just received my 13 Pro Max on the "new every year" Apple plan but have not had time to use. The plan runs about $55 a month if I elect to upgrade, so it's not a big deal (at least for me) but recognize unattainable or undesired by many folks. Guess I fall under the premise that the best camera is the one you have on hand and have found an iPhone does a credible job wanting to capture something and did not have (or plan) to lug my D810 around. Here is an example where I decided to stop by to see the progress of moving ACL 1503 back in August taken with my iPhone 12, same model. The original file is 2.3MB captured in RAW, unedited. Would expect if taken with a 13 to be slightly better, but when compressed for posting on TO doubtful any difference at all...         

Date: 10/10/21 16:08
Author: NormSchultze

There is a lengthy and in-depyh review of the IPhones at DPReview.   Take a look before you judge them.

Date: 10/10/21 21:40
Author: walstib

Getting back to the original question, yes, I picked up 13 Pro Max. It arrived on Friday.

I haven’t had a chance to use the camera yet. But I was already impressed with the camera on my 12 Pro Max, so I’m sure my happiness will continue.

I’ve found my iPhone camera to be quite handy in many situations, but it’s no replacement for a DSLR when you want more control over the camera and lens.

It’s handy, and I’ve taken many great photos. But if you want to take pictures you might blow up and print on a larger canvas, stick with a DSLR.

Last month I snapped a sunrise shot of number 8 at Whitefish, which I posted here. It made IOTD, and got many positive comments. I snapped that shot with my iPhone 12.

The other handy thing with an iPhone camera is the ability to edit/post/send the photo right away.

I guess this is just a long way of saying iPhone cameras have a time and place, but they’re not necessarily a replacement for a “real” camera.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/11/21 03:12
Author: bobwilcox

If you've signed up to Adobe's monthly subscription for Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. there's an app to control shutter the speed, aperture and iso of your iPhone camera.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 10/12/21 10:28
Author: fbe

AT&T changed their 5G codes making my Nokia 8.3 5G smartphone incompatible with my AT&T account. Nokia could not do a software or firmware update to the new 5G system Nokia was unwilling to do any hardware changes to make their phone with the new AT&T 5G.

AT&T did send me a FREE AT&T Calypso smartphone which would work well in the new 5G. It is a more basic smartphone than the Nokia or iPhones. The Calypso is not as capable as my Nokia. The iPhone 12 or 13 give me what I am used to with my Nokia.

If I just wanted a phone for email and texts the $1,000 price would be out of range. The iPhones are true smartphones and provide a handheld computer which has email and text capibilities.

I may get delivery of my iPhone 13 maxpro this week or next.

Date: 10/12/21 19:32

I got the iPhone 13 max pro at the AT&T store this afternoon. Set up has gone well and I am sending some emails and answering text messages.  Google search for web pages such as trainorders.com and dpreview are working well.  There is a lot of upgrading operations going on every time I turn on the phone.  The phone has a nice balance and solid feel.

If I want 8x10 or larger prints I will use my digital SLR cameras. For Internet posting my iPhone camera will be used.

I doubt I will do a hardware upgrade every one or two years but that is a affordable trade in process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/21 10:56 by fbe.

Date: 10/13/21 07:02
Author: SOUCF25

A number of films have been shot with iPhones going back to an iPhone 4.  

https://www.lafilm.edu/blog/5-films-shot-with-a-smartphone/

Neil

Date: 10/13/21 10:36

The iPhone 13 ran itself through a number of nonrequested "upgrades" and the Google search has gone away.

An apple search is done by putting your fingers in the middle of the home page and scrolling vertically a short bit until the search bar shows up. Type in the url or subject you are looking for then enter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/21 10:52 by fbe.

Date: 10/13/21 11:24
Author: jst3751

fbe Wrote:
> The iPhone 13 ran itself through a number of
> nonrequested "upgrades" and the Google search has
> gone away.
>

Sounds like the phone has "auto updates" enabled.

Settings - General - Softwasre Update - Automatic Updates: Turn off.

Date: 10/14/21 21:57
Re: Has Anyone Purchased an Apple iPhone 13
Author: Press25

FWIW:

There's a 50" x 70" metallic canvas print on my living room wall of Beluga whales in Hudson Bay.

Amongst the other prints on my walls, you would never know it was taken from a gently rolling Zodiac in Nunavut with an iPhone 7+.

People think that I am kidding when I tell them.

It was printed by WhiteWall in Germany.  They do phenomenal work.

The best camera in the world is the one that you have ready when the moment arises.  

Date: 10/16/21 19:07
Smart Phone Observations Appreciated - Apple iPhone 13

Thanks everyone who took the time to share their opinions.  Your experiences are appreciated-!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/17/21 08:08
Author: chico

cozephyr Wrote:
> =17.549999237060547pxAppreciated your comments
> Photobob. I understand.  I just can't see paying
> $1000 of dollars for a digital dinosaur camera
> that gets used occasionally when I can use the
> cellphone for many tasks on a daily basis.  Apps
> are where its at and the camera on these devices
> is phenomenal-!
>
> =17.549999237060547pxLooking forward to your next
> post.

although still relegated to the ole Iphone 10X I have to agree. My DSLR collects dust anymore. I have way more fun with apps/video processing getting a third dimension is awesome and the mics are great too in both apple and samsung "phones".

Date: 10/17/21 08:19
Author: goneon66

fbe Wrote:
> I got the iPhone 13 max pro at the AT&T store this
> afternoon. Set up has gone well and I am sending
> some emails and answering text messages.  Google
> search for web pages such as trainorders.com and
> dpreview are working well.  There is a lot of
> upgrading operations going on every time I turn on
> the phone.  The phone has a nice balance and
> solid feel.
>
> If I want 8x10 or larger prints I will use my
> digital SLR cameras. For Internet posting my
> iPhone camera will be used.
>
>  I doubt I will do a hardware upgrade every one
> or two years but that is a affordable trade in
> process.
>

i am also thinking about getting the 13.  

could you post some test images and a video?

thanks for any info..........

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0985 seconds