Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Railfan Technology > Nikon dropping out of the market for SLR cameras

Date: 07/12/22 21:19
Nikon dropping out of the market for SLR cameras
Author: gonx

Read here

Last month Nikon dropped two models; D3500 and D5600.

Canon has also stated that the EOS-1D X Mark III will be its last DSLR model.

Date: 07/13/22 06:00
Re: Nikon dropping out of the market for SLR cameras
Author: engineerinvirginia

I don't have to like it...but I did venture forth and got a Canon M50 mirrorless....And while the M system may be short on life, I can use my EF lenses with an adapter so I can use it for long while...I have to say while I am not all about millions of pixels, the M50 takes VERY good photos. I do like Canon's color gamut and alway have. 

Date: 07/14/22 12:37
Author: cozephyr

For those with limited budgets and no need for 50 MB images the cellphone cameras from Samsung and Apple contnue to be an alternative to the dying DSLR and film camera markets.  Folks only have so much $$$.

Appreciate the update on camera production for professionals and hobbyists. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/22 13:40 by cozephyr.

Date: 07/14/22 13:17
Author: exhaustED

cozephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those with limited budgets and no need for 50
> MB images the cellphone cameras from Samsung and
> Apple contnue to be an alternative to the dying
> DSLR and film camera markets.  Folks only have so
> much $$$.
>
> Appreciate the update on camera production for
> professionals
> and =17.549999237060547pxhobbyists. 

The DSLR type markets are not dying at all. The point and shoot pocket camera market is shrinking a lot due to phone advances. Apple's phones and other high end phones with good cameras don't exactly represent a major cost saving over many cameras either. 

Date: 07/14/22 16:52
Author: TCnR

Curious headline for the thread, went to a source related to the hobby of photography and found this:

https://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews-2/

Refering to pie charts in the article:

"...There you have it (from Nikon's Investor Relations Event on May 26, 2022). 

You probably need some help parsing this chart, so let me try. 

FY21 actually refers to the year ended March 31, 2022. In that year, the F-mount cameras and lenses accounted for about 30% of Nikon Imaging's sales, or something close to 53b yen.

FY25 actually refers to the year ending March 31, 2026. By that point, F-mount cameras and lenses will account for just less than 5% of Nikon Imaging's sales, or something below 10b yen. 

Put another way, in the next four years Nikon will be phasing out DSLR sales, though not discontinuing them completely. Given Nikon's stated "concentrate...in high value-added products", it would suggest that the three current FX DSLRs (D780, D850, and D6) and the primary, best-selling side of the FX lens set are likely to be the products that remain in the lineup through 2026. 

Some of you will take this as "bad news." I actually take it as "good news." The fear has been that Nikon would just summarily discontinue DSLR products at some point in the near future. While that seems likely for DX, the fact that there's a clear tail of sales out for another three years indicates that the FX side will likely just be allowed to taper naturally. Put another way: Nikon's DSLR future is actually up to you, the customers. Keep buying and Nikon just might encourage that tail to continue past 2026. Stop buying, and Nikon will see that as a message to close the DSLR shop. "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/22 18:00 by TCnR.

Date: 07/14/22 17:46
Author: walstib

The site nikonrumors.com had a story earlier this week about a Japanese report that Nikon is ending development of DSLR cameras.

It's worth noting that Nikon was quick to respond to the report, calling it "speculation."

Here is a link to the Nikon Rumors report:

https://nikonrumors.com/2022/07/12/nikon-to-stop-making-dslr-cameras-withdraws-from-slr-development-after-60-years-of-history.aspx/

Date: 07/17/22 08:07
Author: dirkb

I've sold most my canon DSLR's in favor of the canon mirrorless system. So far an RP and 2 R6 bodies. Lots more "keepers" - and the ability to use my lens collection from the EF days via the canon converters. The focusing works as well if not better adapted onto the RF bodies. Especially noticeable is the increased focus accuracy of the 50mm1.2. Pretty impressive.

I've mostly bought used via Craigslist and offerup as usual (But being very wise in doing so) and the local Samy's used counter at significant savings.

Also using a Fuji X100V with their lens adapters.

Taken tons at various events and for fun. Can't complain. No downside as far as i can tell.

Date: 07/19/22 19:14
Author: engineerinvirginia

dirkb Wrote:
> I've sold most my canon DSLR's in favor of the
> canon mirrorless system. So far an RP and 2 R6
> bodies. Lots more "keepers" - and the ability to
> use my lens collection from the EF days via the
> canon converters. The focusing works as well if
> not better adapted onto the RF bodies. Especially
> noticeable is the increased focus accuracy of the
> 50mm1.2. Pretty impressive.
>
> I've mostly bought used via Craigslist and offerup
> as usual (But being very wise in doing so) and the
> local Samy's used counter at significant savings.
>
> Also using a Fuji X100V with their lens adapters.
>
> Taken tons at various events and for fun. Can't
> complain. No downside as far as i can tell.

Quite pleased with my M50 I do say....I need to get my T8i out and do duplicate photos...one lens two cameras...same settings and see what I think. 

Date: 07/20/22 09:01
Author: sf1010

There is a difference between not doing more development, and getting out of the market.  Note that the sensors for the current top of the line DSLR and mirrorless have the same pixel count.  If they do an upgrade to the mirrorless sensor, it might be pretty easy to put that in a DSLR, with little or no development.

Probably more significant for the DSLRs is lens development.  The mirrorless have the mounting flange closer to the sensor, which gives lens designers more options.  You can use an adapter to put the DSLR lenses on the mirrorless, but not the other way around.  So, very likely no new DSLR glass.  Of course, there is already a wide range of very fine glass for the DSLRs.  

Date: 07/26/22 00:15
Author: dirkb

sf1010 Wrote:

> Probably more significant for the DSLRs is lens
> development.  The mirrorless have the mounting
> flange closer to the sensor, which gives lens
> designers more options.  You can use an adapter
> to put the DSLR lenses on the mirrorless, but not
> the other way around.  So, very likely no new
> DSLR glass.  Of course, there is already a wide
> range of very fine glass for the DSLRs.  

Canon has disconinued some EF lenses in favor of the RF series. (noptably  the superb  70-200 f4 IS II) Bought a mint used off of craigslist. being patient and using your spidey sense at good savings - and have found the canon adapters used at the local samy's at a significant discount. Also, they proivide a 1 yr. (aftermarket) equivalent of canon's defect warranty.)

Paid $99 for a mint used control ring RF to EF adaptor - new: $200.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0665 seconds