Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Railfan Technology > for Leica fans

Date: 07/24/22 10:52
for Leica fans
Author: colehour

If you're interested in seeing what is likely the largest collection of Leica cameras (outside of Germany, of course), pay a visit to the art museum on the campus of Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. I stumbled on this a couple of months ago while visiting the college. I looked for the Leica I owned 50 years ago, a Leica IIIf, and seeing that model brought back some great memories. 

I don't see many references to Leica cameras here on TO, and wonder how popular they are  among railfans. 

Date: 07/24/22 15:04
Re: for Leica fans
Author: Frisco1522

I had several of them back in the early 70s.  I would buy junkers and fix them.   I had a IIIF at one time and even had the first 35, I think was an A?  I didn't use it but sold it for a profit.  I never liked changing film in those old ones.

Date: 07/28/22 06:56
Author: grahamline

Still occasionally use an M4P (circa 1984 production) for specific projects but Nikon DSLR for most railroad and product assignments.  Fit the camera to the job, not the other way around.  M-mount lenses are adaptable to the Sony mirrorless bodies and get used with them.

Date: 07/29/22 04:22
Author: colehour

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had several of them back in the early 70s.  I
> would buy junkers and fix them.   I had a IIIF
> at one time and even had the first 35, I think was
> an A?  I didn't use it but sold it for a
> profit.  I never liked changing film in those old
> ones.

As I recall, one had to remove the bottom plate to change film, unlike later model cameras that had backs that would swing open. Yes, a bit of a pain. 

Date: 07/29/22 16:44
Author: grahamline

Awkward and different.  Usually two-handed job. But it becomes second nature after a while and you learn to have a place to stick the removed baseplate.  Later models had more efficient systems.

Date: 07/30/22 09:13
Author: sf1010

I used to hold the base plate between two fingers on my left hand, while also holding the body in my left hand and doing the fine motor skill loading stuff with my right hand.  Worked fine.  However, I did appreciate the hinged back when I switched to Nikon SLRs.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds