Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Railfan Technology > Pblm using scanner radio pro on iPhone in SC

Date: 01/17/23 08:36
Pblm using scanner radio pro on iPhone in SC
Author: dadonatrain

Total newbie here. Trying to learn to use scanner radio pro on iPhone. Completely lost.

I know NS and CSX both have frequencies in the Greenville-Spartanburg area where I live but I don’t know how to tell the scanner radio app on my iPhone to monitor those freqs.

When I browse “nearby” on the app, nothing at all in SC comes up on the app. Even though some freqs in Australia come up! Doesn’t pass my definition of “nearby South Carolina!”

When I review the spartanburg vrf page it says I should use railroadradio.net but when I go there it says the spartanburg “feed is down”. Does that mean no scanner on an iPhone would ever be able to scan any of those freqs?

What am I doing wrong?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/17/23 21:19
Re: Pblm using scanner radio pro on iPhone in SC
Author: radar

A cell phone cannot receive and decode two way radio signals.  The app just plays audio web streams and has a nice list of them.  Unless someone goes to the trouble of setting up an antenna, radio receiver, stream encoder, and web server for what you want to hear, then you are out of luck.  Big city police and fire departments may attract enough listeners to get some advertising and make a little money, but a railroad channel in a rural area is a tough sell.

Date: 01/17/23 22:47
Author: TCnR

If the location says the feed is down an online scanner Ap will not work, the Ap may be working but there's nothing to listen to. I just checked RR Radio and they say the feed is  working and five people are listening, so if your Ap is working then you should be able to hear whatever is said. But again if nothing is said at the location then the Ap will not have anything to repeat. That's an inherent issue with any feed.

Try finding something that you know is broadcasting to verify the Ap is working. With a regular radio the Weather Service broadcast is useful to verify the radio is working. Perhaps there is something similar on the Ap that you have, weather or a very active channel. Then switch over to the desired location and hope they say something. Hope that helps.

Date: 01/18/23 09:38
Author: dadonatrain

Thx everyone

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0322 seconds