Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Railfan Technology > Looking for another E-6 processing lab

Date: 06/15/23 13:52
Looking for another E-6 processing lab
Author: furious_toad

As the title indicates, I am looking for another quality E-6 processing lab other than Dwaynes Photo. I sent Dwaynes three rolls to be processed on the 3rd of June with them receiving them on the 5th. In the past they have turned these around within the week, so I called them yesterday and was informed they were developed but will not be mounted until the 22nd. 2 and a half weeks to develope and mount the slides plus return shipping of 4-5 days will make this a >3 week long process. 

Where are others sending there slides to be processed CONUS, not oversees.

TIA

Date: 06/15/23 19:13
Re: Looking for another E-6 processing lab
Author: K3HX

I was introduced to AgX Imaging at a WGRF meeting several years ago.

I've been satisfied with the results.

www.agximaging@sbcglobal.net

Be Well,

Tim Colbert  K3HX

Date: 06/16/23 07:26
Author: Valleyman

It's my understanding, that with fewer people shooting slide film. Dwayne's will not process film unless they have at least 100 rolls.  It economically worth the chemicals for less. Also, that's what the spools on the machine hold. When I turn film into them. I can get it back between 10 days and three weeks. Dwayne's processing is almost $5.00 cheaper than Agx per roll.

Valleyman

Date: 06/16/23 07:40
Author: RayH

Another vote here for AgX. While I never had any problems with Dwaynes, my best frriend had 8 rolls ruined last year, and their customer service was non-existent.

I switched to AgX last year and Mike provides excellent service. Be sure to specify cardboard mounts though.

I don't recall a $5/roll difference in processing, but if you can afford to BUY film, you certainly have enough $$$ to process it.

I looked at having some slides processed locally in Flagstaff, but was told the film comes back unmounted. Deal killer there.

Date: 06/16/23 12:58
Author: furious_toad

RayH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another vote here for AgX. While I never had any
> problems with Dwaynes, my best frriend had 8 rolls
> ruined last year, and their customer service was
> non-existent.
>
> I switched to AgX last year and Mike provides
> excellent service. Be sure to specify cardboard
> mounts though.
>
> I don't recall a $5/roll difference in processing,
> but if you can afford to BUY film, you certainly
> have enough $$$ to process it.
>
> I looked at having some slides processed locally
> in Flagstaff, but was told the film comes back
> unmounted. Deal killer there.

Looks like they only mount in plastic mounts now.
"We only offer plastic mounts for 135 roll films.  Unfortunately, cardboard mounts are no longer available."
This maybe a deal breaker for me. Dwaynes still (or did aleast 3 weeks ago) mounts in a paper mount. When someone sees a plastic mount they instantly think its a duplicate slide.

Price is $11/roll at AGX vs. $7.50/roll at Dwaynes. $3.50/roll difference is not an issue for quality processing, just can't get over the plastic mounts. I do have a case of paper mounts here in the house, but not the time to mount.

Date: 06/16/23 13:49
Author: longliveSP

furious_toad Wrote:

> within the week, so I called them yesterday and
> was informed they were developed but will not be
> mounted until the 22nd.

Could this be a case of waitig for the mounts to arrive? Sounds like overall cardboard mounts are becoming scarce.

Date: 06/17/23 23:16
Author: Valleyman

Dwayne's has there own machines to make the cardboard mounts. They were selling them to Agx. Might be some sort of competition issue now with Agx.

Valleyman 

Date: 06/18/23 05:50
Author: RayH

Valleyman Wrote:
> Dwayne's has there own machines to make the
> cardboard mounts. They were selling them to Agx.
> Might be some sort of competition issue now with
> Agx.
>
> Valleyman 

Dwayne's machine was down for repairs a while back, which did cause an issue getting cardboard mounts. 

Date: 06/19/23 14:13
Author: longliveSP

RayH Wrote:
> Valleyman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Dwayne's has there own machines to make the
> > cardboard mounts. They were selling them to
> Agx.
> > Might be some sort of competition issue now
> with
> > Agx.
> >
> > Valleyman 
>
> Dwayne's machine was down for repairs a while
> back, which did cause an issue getting cardboard
> mounts. 

As I suspected, the delay is simply good ole fashioned sometimes things break and take time to get fixed.

Date: 06/22/23 16:02
Author: BobE

RayH Wrote:

> I switched to AgX last year and Mike provides
> excellent service. Be sure to specify cardboard
> mounts though.

I've been using AGX for almost 20 years.

I just use the plastic mounts, don't have any issue with them.  I make slide labels on my computer and print them out.  Avery 8167 labels sticker right on and are the right size for slide mounts.

Two issues with his cardboard mounts: it costs extra vs the plastic mounts.  And his mounting machine for cardboards is ancient (face it, everything about film machinery is ancient) and it will eat a frame roughly every ten rolls.  Now, if you shoots lots of extras, like I did in the days of slide trading, this isn't a big deal, but if you are shooting only for yourself and the one frame that gets eaten is the best shot of your vacation?

BobE

Date: 06/25/23 12:29
Author: borg

I just had a roll of film processed by Agx.  Cost me $22.08 which includes postage.  Not too bad, about same as Dwayns.  I asked for and received cardboard mounts.  Had film type printed on the mount and usually he waits until he has several rolls to process but these came back very quick after I dropped the roll off in person.

Date: 07/06/23 09:48
Author: MaryMcPherson

I did one roll of Fuji E-6 at Boutique Film Labs in Nashville, TN. They did just fine. I had them send the processed film back unmounted, which made it easier for me to scan myself.

Posted from Android

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0841 seconds