Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Railfan Technology > Need new tips for iron on Radio Shack 64-2184 Soldering Station

Date: 12/03/23 12:17
Need new tips for iron on Radio Shack 64-2184 Soldering Station
Author: DocJohn

I do not have the part number or model of soldering iron, The tips are copper and screw on to a threaded metal rod end the end of the iron.  There are some on eBay and Amazon that look similar.  Will they work?

John

Date: 12/04/23 22:48
Re: Need new tips for iron on Radio Shack 64-2184 Soldering Stati
Author: radar

I doubt that tips from another brand would fit.  If you solder much, it would be worth getting a temperature controlled iron.  What makes them nice is they rapidly compensate for the heat loss when you apply the tip to the work.  After trying a controlled soldering station, the fixed wattage irons went in the back of the tool drawer.

Date: 12/05/23 06:17
Author: engineerinvirginia

DocJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do not have the part number or model of
> soldering iron, The tips are copper and screw on
> to a threaded metal rod end the end of the iron. 
> There are some on eBay and Amazon that look
> similar.  Will they work?
>
> John

Most of Radio Shack's stuff was made by third parties and the soldering irons certainly were...if you could figure out who, you might get the right tips...I do think the ones RS sold are actually still available but I agree that the more modern ones will be much more satisfying to use. 

Date: 12/05/23 10:14
Author: sf1010

Take the iron to a hardware store, and try some nuts from their fastener drawers.  It's probably some standard thread, either metric or inch.  Knowing the thread, you can probably find a tip.

Date: 12/07/23 09:48

Thank you to all for your replies.  My main soldering task are attaching feeders to Code 83 rail and soldering all the joints between sections of flex track.  My layout is large (10 x 16) but with all track within a couple of feet from the edges, so I would like a soldering station as opposed to an individual iron.  So, what do you recommend that I purchase?

Thank you,

John

Date: 12/07/23 09:52
Author: engineerinvirginia

DocJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you to all for your replies.  My main
> soldering task are attaching feeders to Code 83
> rail and soldering all the joints between sections
> of flex track.  My layout is large (10 x 16) but
> with all track within a couple of feet from the
> edges, so I would like a soldering station as
> opposed to an individual iron.  So, what do you
> recommend that I purchase?
>
> Thank you,
>
> John

Hakko! 

Date: 12/07/23 12:47

Thank you very much, engineerinvirginia.  I have ordered a Hakko soldering station and accessories.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds