Home Open Account Help 147 users online

Railfan Technology > long telephoto

Date: 01/26/24 14:49
long telephoto
Author: grether

Hello - I have the opportunity to purchase a long telephoto lens, a 150-600 zoom.  The lens has good reviews, but I see most of the application for these long telephoto lenses is sports or wildlife photography.  Does anyone have experience for these as a railfan lens?  I was thinking for compressed shots of distant trains "down the track" - thoughts?

Date: 01/26/24 15:49
Re: long telephoto
Author: sf1010

Probably the reason there are more reviews for sports and wildlife is that more people shoot sports and wildlife -- nothing more significant than that.

The glass does not know what you are shooting.  Photons are photons.

Date: 01/26/24 17:09
Author: exhaustED

What's your camera body, full frame or APS-C? Full frame that'll be more than enough zoom for some real 'telesmash' shots, on APS-C that focal length will become about 1.6 times bigger!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/24 17:10 by exhaustED.

Date: 01/26/24 19:34
Author: MGRACER

I have the Sigma 150-600.Its sharp, fast and heavey as hell.I shoot mainly airplanes now and its overkill for LAX.Would make a hellofa shot of a train on rolling hills.Again its heavey and hard to hand  hold.HTH
Steve

Date: 01/26/24 20:24
Author: mojaveflyer

I have a Sigma 150 - 600 mm lens that I've used it on both a full sensor and a crop sensor with good results. I also use my Sigma for astrophotography. My biggest problem is that I've had problems holding that lens. because I've had surgery on both soldiers.ons.  The attached is a shot of Jupiter and four of it's moons. I shot it using a Canon T6i body. I shot in on Jan 26, 2004. It's a good lens but a little unwieldly....

MGRACER Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have the Sigma 150-600.Its sharp, fast and
> heavey as hell.I shoot mainly airplanes now and
> its overkill for LAX.Would make a hellofa shot of
> a train on rolling hills.Again its heavey and hard
> to hand  hold.HTH
> Steve

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 01/27/24 04:59
Author: grether

I'm using a Nikon D780 full size sensor.  Any experience shooting trains?  I'm looking at the Tamron 150-600 D2.

Date: 01/27/24 06:37
Author: exhaustED

Ok, it wouldn't be overkill I wouldn't say, i use a 300mm lens quite often on a crop sensor which gives an effective 480mm. So 600mm would be usable for the type of shots you're describing.

Date: 01/27/24 10:28
Author: jbwest

I purchased a 70-300 for the 300 end of the range (on a DX sensor), and find it occasionally useful for shots like these.

JBWX

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/24 10:35 by jbwest.

Date: 01/27/24 16:21
Author: NormSchultze

If you find the lens to be heavy for hand holding there are options. Get a monopod.  Use a high shutter speed to keep from having camera movement.  

Date: 01/30/24 18:38
Author: CCMF

IMO the best bang for the buck is the Nikon 200-500.   Also have the SIGMA 150-600 and yea it's heavy as hell, but good.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds