Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Railfan Technology > Trainz

Date: 02/21/24 03:52
Trainz
Author: bobwilcox

Some sources say the Trainz franchise has about a million subscribers worldwide. Does anyone on TO build routes or operate sessions?

Posted from iPhone

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 02/21/24 14:55
Re: Trainz
Author: lne655

I've been using TRAINZ since 2004. It's truly a fascinating software and Auran has invested much time and effort in perfecting it. There are numerous private 'content builders' that make the simulator even more enjoyable to use and to get the best results requires patience as well as a learning curve, if one is more inclined to experience the realism this simulator can offer.
Content is anything from houses and stations, automobiles and planes that drive and fly while you run trains, trees, grasses, any terrain, frieght cars, passenger cars, locomotives, gates, signal stanchions, bridges, etc.
Persoanlly I enjoy the route building aspect, you can download actual terrain maps from throughout the world which appear as terrain grid maps. Your route can be anything from a small layout a la 4 x 8 platform or something as intense as Denver to California. Signalling, switches, inbterlockings, etc., can all be customized and functional according to desired design.
The best part for me is the ability to change engines sounds, horn sounds and add weight to locomotives and cars. Although it is time consuming to create routes, it is not necessary, you can download the work many others have contributed.
You can set up your trains to be automatically driven and watch from any location on the 'map' you desire, or you can run the train from inside at the control stand and observe from there, or you can do both, jump out of controlling the train to observing it passing by a location in advance, even ride inside a caboose or passenger car. It is truly limitless based on the power of your compouter and the work you put into the design.
There are times because of weight (purposely) my freight train will stall. I can summon pushers to assist me over the steeper grades. It is a time-sink to 'play' with this software but if you like to model it's well worth it.
That said, it can be a serious time-sink and addiction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/24 15:00 by lne655.

Date: 02/23/24 15:28
Author: jlamd11

I am big fan of Trainz. I have been playing it since 2004 like lne655. 

I would say that while some simulators are better at simulating driving a train like Run 8 and Train Sim World, Trainz is best for creating routes. 

Date: 02/24/24 07:16
Author: bobwilcox

I've created my dream model railroad with #10 turnouts and 5(156" in HO) degree curves.  Passenger trains look really good as they travel the line.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.055 seconds