Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Railfan Technology > Powering a scanner for mobile use

Date: 03/08/24 10:07
Powering a scanner for mobile use
Author: shadetree

I have a base scanner that has a transformer that puts out 12V.  My cousin, who is sharper than I, says I can use an inverter and the 110 plug or use a cigarette lighter plug wired to an adapter plugged directly into the scanner.

Thoughts?

Eng.Shadetree

Date: 03/08/24 11:57
Re: Powering a scanner for mobile use
Author: mojaveflyer

Connecting a plug to the power cord to run it off of a 12 v outlet would be the easiest. You can find an outlet on line that has three outlets so you could charge something else if you wanted. A magnetic antenna to put on the roof of your car would greatly increase the range of things you can hear. You're welcome to PM me or other hams on these forums to ask about an external antenna.

Jim Nelson N0LBH

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 03/08/24 14:42
Author: TCnR

An invert er would be the long way around the problem and introduce a hazardous voltage and wiring. Some RV's are using modern inverters along with Solar Panels, but that would be even more extreme.

The 12 v plug should work out with the car's voltage, the car usually produces 13.8 volts but industry usually makes this range compatible. There's all sorts of plugs and usually ready made harnesses for this application. Using the radio scanner name and model number usually provides some obvious clues.

Agree with an outside antenna of some sort, keep the cable length to a minimum though. There are quite a few antenna discussions in the TO archives.

Date: 03/10/24 07:18
Author: shadetree

It is a radio shack scanner.  The 12V connector is not a common standard one.  I'm still conflicted about the best way to handle it.  I appreciate the input.

Eng.Shadetree

Date: 03/10/24 17:53
Author: hotrail

As others have suggested, if your car has a "cigarette lighter" style receptacle that would be the easiest power source.  
It may be necessary to replace the existing connector with a cigarette lighter style plug, which should be easy to do.  The one point of caution is to make sure you get the polarity correct.
Perhaps you could post a picture of the back of the radio and the existing plug and it would be easier to give you specific recommendations. 

Date: 03/11/24 10:05
Author: mojaveflyer

Do a search for the particular model scanner you have. Either Amazon or EBAY should have one that works. The label on the back of the radio should have the model number.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds