Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Railfan Technology > Slide Show Software programs

Date: 05/13/24 09:51
Slide Show Software programs
Author: Martin_K_OToole

I had been using ProGold (IIRC) software to build slide shows.  They have belly-upped and disappeared.  The program is now no longer functional.  What program(s) are people using to build reasonable quality presentations?  I don't expect Hollywood quality and would probably be incompetent to use that level any way.  Suggestions?

Martin O'Toole
Marietta, GA

Date: 05/13/24 18:36
Re: Slide Show Software programs
Author: DocJohn

I make numerous presentations at scientific meetings each year.  These often include images of scientific instruments as well as jpg images of of "curvy" data that cannot be put in table format.  When meeting organizers specify nothing but real PowerPoint (pptx), I use that software (running under Win 11 Insider Build).  If the organizers don't insist on real PowerPoint, I use LibreOffice Impress running under latest version of Ubuntu.  The latter software and OS are available without charge, and will run on most PC's.

John

Date: 05/14/24 06:23

Thank you. I have been told that Power Point does not deliver quality imagery. Did you find that to be true? What size dpi's are you using?

Martin O'Toole
Marietta, GA

Date: 05/14/24 06:44
Author: DocJohn

On-screen PowerPoint image quality depends on the quality of the original image, how the image is inserted on PowerPoint slide, and on the projection equipment and screens.  Often times, the screen in the auditorium might be ten-feet wide.  In attached image, I inserted a ScanCafe image of 35 mm slide into a PowerPoint set to 4 x 3 ratio,  Most conferences now require 16 x 9 ratio for PowerPoint presentations.  To make the attached image TO compatible, I exported single slide as jpg.

John

Date: 05/15/24 12:40

Thanks for the insights.  Guess I just need to fiddle around and see what I get!
That's why Heinz has 57 varities, I am told.  :)

Martin O'Toole
Marietta, GA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds