Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > "Presidential" UP SD70ACe?

Date: 10/06/05 17:25
"Presidential" UP SD70ACe?
Author: Castle_Romeo

Rumor has it that the next UP Heritage unit is gonna be painted in a scheme to honor former U.S. President George H. W. Bush (Current Prez's Father). Any ideas on what this unit will look like?

Date: 10/06/05 17:42
Re: Presidential
Author: F40PHR231

Additional info at a few threads below, rumored to be #4141...

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1012378

Date: 10/06/05 18:45
Re:
Author: Anonymous User

Is UP jumping on the OCC bandwagon and making theme locomotives now? hehe

~Matthew - waiting to see the new UP spider web locomotive

Date: 10/06/05 18:48
Re: Re:
Author: Castle_Romeo

I wouldn't mind seeing a Statue of Liberty themed UP SD70ACe. They can even use copper paint.

Date: 10/06/05 19:09
Re:
Author: RioGrandeFan

If it is to be numbered 4141 has the SD70M that has that number been renumbered? Basically has the 4141 number been cleared?

Can't wait to see this one.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 10/06/05 19:34
Author: BigDave

Sounds like a ridiculous rumor to me. What reason would UP have to do this?

It seems there were many silly rumors about what the previous Heritage Units would be, as well. None of them came close. I think that this is going to be more of the same.

Date: 10/06/05 19:37
Author: BigDave

Never mind. I see why. They were paid to do so. Still, I doubt it'll be more than a standard paint job, w/ Bush the Elder's name on it.

Date: 10/06/05 20:14
Re: Old Topic
Author: bnsfjth

This topic is fast approaching a month old...

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,998021

-Justin

Date: 10/06/05 21:29
"George Bush Express", Nov. 19-20th
Author: Red

BigDave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like a ridiculous rumor to me. What reason
> would UP have to do this?
>
> It seems there were many silly rumors about what
> the previous Heritage Units would be, as well.
> None of them came close. I think that this is
> going to be more of the same.

It might sound like a ridiculous rumor, but obviously is not due to the link provided above to the George Bush Presidential Library Website. It's real...it will happen.

The only question is: what will the unit look like? We will see by November 19-20th when UP runs the "George Bush Express", powered, according to the website by "UP's newest locomotive dedicated in honor of the 41st President of the United States". Perhaps it will be the standard UP paint scheme with a decal or the President's name on it...but...it sounds like it will be some sort of presidential commemorative unit.

If you go to the website, it looks like they are selling tickets for the train, with 5 levels of service "aboard vintage Union Pacific passenger equipment". It will be running between Dallas, TX and College Station, TX...but I got a little confused about which day the train was running out of which city. Those who live in that area who are interested should look at the website in the link above.

Date: 10/06/05 22:41
Re:
Author: DesertDon

If it a presidential engine (even in the sprit of Air Force One), will UP keep it clean?

Date: 10/06/05 23:47
Author: AC4400CWGEVO

No... they care about $, not about proud on the soon to be
Loco Force One!

Ac4400cwgevo

DesertDon Wrote:
> If it a presidential engine (even in the sprit of
> Air Force One), will UP keep it clean?

Date: 10/07/05 00:09
Clean UPRR Units
Author: Red

DesertDon Wrote:
> If it a presidential engine (even in the sprit of
> Air Force One), will UP keep it clean?

There was a thread recently...with photographic proof of some units which by all rights, should be looking pretty raunchy by now, that other locations other than NLRK Jenks have become operation.

One gentleman (I got the impression he worked there) mentioned that at Hinkle, OR, a location where many units get quite a bit of soot due to tunnels, that units must be power-washed, and, even scrub brushes brought into play, before units are released from their 90-day FRA inspections. And, that there is increasing pressure to keep new power, particularly flag units...but all power...clean...account negative publicity the UPRR has been getting.

This is a step in the right direction. We will still see dirty UP units, but as time goes by, fewer and fewer of them.

Yes...the dollar is the king of the equation. It does not take a rocket scientist, however, to figure out that if you regularly clean locomotives, you do not have to repaint them nearly as often. Repainting is FAR more costly than washing!!!

Date: 10/07/05 21:56
Re:
Author: cs16

Castle_Romeo Wrote:
> Rumor has it that the next UP Heritage unit is
> gonna be painted in a scheme to honor former U.S.
> President George H. W. Bush (Current Prez's
> Father). Any ideas on what this unit will look
> like?

All black with a gold oil rig and red skull & crossbones.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0686 seconds