Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Bill Farmer R. I. P.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/28/06 18:17
Bill Farmer R. I. P.
Author: mococomike

Hello, everyone--

Some sad news... Bill Farmer passed away last night, Thursday, July 27 at 6:53pm. Bill's sister Pat Ward was at his side and said that Bill wasn't in any pain at the time of his death. Most of you know that he was fighting a hard battle with cancer these past months. We're happy that he was able to make a visit to Train Mountain in Chiloquin, Oregon a few weeks ago for their Triennial Meet, a trip that Bill had been looking forward to for a long time.

A copy of the obituary follows below. Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts & prayers and for being a friend to Bill.

Sincerely,
Pat Ward
Steve Waller
wallerworld@email.com

---------------
FARMER- William A. Farmer, age 61, passed away July 27, 2006 in Sierra Madre, CA, after a long battle with cancer. He was born on June 16,
1945 in Los Angeles.

Bill graduated from UC Riverside, majoring in mathematics. Bill was the founding chief engineer of the campus radio station KUCR and was once photographed at the control board by Ansel Adams.

Bill began his career as a radio engineer, employed with KABC and KMPC, among other stations. Bill worked the Dodger broadcasts with Vin Scully and was known as “Engineer Bill” on the Gary Owens radio show.

Bill had a life-long interest in railroading, making it both his hobby and career. He managed private railroad passenger cars and rode the rails all over North America. He particularly loved riding trains in Mexico, and was involved with numerous railroad clubs in Southern California.

Bill spent his final years producing videos about railroading and planning for his retirement at Train Mountain Railroad Museum in Chiloquin, OR. www.trainmountain.org

Bill is survived by his sister Pat Ward and her husband Lloyd of Plainview, TX; nephews Clay Ward of Dallas and Cody Ward of Plainview and their wives; three great-nephews and one great-niece. Bill’s parents, William and Azalea Farmer, preceded him in death. A memorial service for Bill will be planned at a later date. Contributions can be made to Pacific Railroad Society of San Marino, CA.
www.pacificrailroadsociety.org

Date: 07/28/06 18:22
Re: Bill Farmer R. I. P.
Author: Lackawanna484

Good man. Definitely will be missed.

Date: 07/28/06 18:26
Author: graybeard1942

In addition to being a respected railfan, Bill was also a very active amateur radio operator and authored an article published in TRAINS magazine about hams using VHF transceivers while chasing trains.

RIP, nice guy... and 73.

Date: 07/28/06 19:29
Author: TopcoatSmith

That's a sad note, Bill was a great guy. He will be missed terribly.

TCS - too close now

Date: 07/28/06 19:56
The voice behind the Flimsies Hotline
Author: haneckow

One of the best things I remember just before the Internet era (at least for me) was the Flimsies Hotline which was hosted by Bill Farmer. I can remember that right before going out on a photography expedition very, very early in the morning I would call the Flimsies Hotline to see what the latest news was. Sometimes the Hotline would even refer to traffic on the line we were about to shoot (!) but at the very least it gave us lots to talk about during those pre-dawn drives up the Cascades to where the action was. Good times.
I met Bill Farmer once and was at least able to say how much I appreciated the Hotline, for which I am grateful, but I doubt if I got across just how appreciated it was.
There was nothing like driving up the Pass above Oakridge before sunrise, the smell of coffee and Egg McMuffins, talking about what was on the latest Flimsies Hotline on the way to shoot the SP. Bill Farmer was just as much of the experience as the the climb, the SD-45T2s and those first rebuilt geeps in Speed Lettering.
Thanks Bill for the good work! You will be missed.

Date: 07/28/06 20:11
Re: The voice behind the Flimsies Hotline
Author: Nitehostler

A few years ago, I had the occasion to purchase an item from Bill...he went the "extra mile" and included a second like item gratis. All I have ever heard about him was good things, so I shouldn't have been too surprised.
Very sorry to hear of his death.

Tom

Date: 07/28/06 20:19
Author: hotrail

I used to call that Flimsies hotline from time to time in the early 90s, it was a really unique (at the time) way to get up to date information. I'm sure it took a lot of time and effort to keep updated and it was a really valuable source of information for a lot of railfans. I used to call it to get the latest info on special trains or something interesting that was happening on a given day. He did a lot for our hobby. I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet him briefly once at railfan event.

Date: 07/28/06 22:25
Author: ATSF100WEST

A name whose recorded "Flimsies Hotline" messages, were directly responsible for countless successful railfan outings, by the faithful and eager listeners. God rest his soul; my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Vaya Con Dios,

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 07/28/06 22:37
Author: TonyJ

Old "Farmer Bill" was a great guy. About 8 years ago he was hired to take car of fueling and watering of some private cars that toured the Siskiyou Line from Eugene to Ashland. He called me for assistance and I gave him phone numbers and names of some companies I thought might help. While the private cars spent the night in Ashland, Bill slept on our couch. We watched a bunch of my old slides and told stories till about midnight.

About six years ago he called to ask if our NRHS chapter still owned MEDCO #8, a 1952-BLH S8 switcher. I said we did and he asked if we would be interested in some video footage he shot of it on the Magma Arizona in 1984. Needless to say I was very interested. Bill made a copy for us and sent it the next day.

Since we both worked for Flimsies I appreciated his help. At one time he took over Flimsies before the work load got to him... as it did to several others. I didn't see Bill at his normal Pentrex stand at Winterail this year. I didn't know he was battling cancer. What a great loss.

Tony J.

Date: 07/29/06 00:01
Author: IC_2024

I am very sorry to hear of Bill's passing and will remember his clear, articulate voice over the "Flimisies" hotline as long as I live--it was beautiful!

Not sure, but I think he did the voiceover on the UPRR hotline for some time as well.

My sincere codolences to his family and friends--he will be missed.

Date: 07/29/06 02:08
Author: David.Curlee

For me, one of the more memorable things about the Flimsies Hotline was occasionally hearing it over a railroad PBX channel, thanks to a "guilty" railroader calling in while at work.

It always made for a good laugh to have the scanner going and then catch something like this:

...................................................................................................
Dispatcher: "Yeah, I'm going to hold you guys there for a Z-train to get by, so stay off the crossings if you would."
Train crew: "Do we have enough time to get something to eat?"
Dispatcher: "Yes, that would be fine."

(radio starts scanning again, stops on a PBX channel)

Bill Farmer: "In other news, Amtrak train #579 broke down this afternoon between Del Mar and Oceanside. Passengers were bussed from Oceanside to points north, while a rescue engine was sent south from Redondo Jct."
...................................................................................................

In fact, I remember one time when another railroader keyed up on the PBX and asked for the phone number so he could call-in himself. That was funny too.

As many of you know, Bill Farmer was involved with Altamont Press in its early years. Had anyone predicted that Rob Carlson and Bill Farmer would both die in 2006 (and exactly 3 months apart) I would have told that person they were crazy. But alas, that's precisely what happened. A sad set of circumstances.

R.I.P. Bill, thanks for your friendship over the years.

Date: 07/29/06 08:09
Author: bn2189

Wow. Bill definitely will be missed. I cannot count all the times he taught me something about Private Varnish operations (knowledge I have admittedly never used) or just updated one of the Flimsies family of magazines on PV movements.

I'm not liking 2006 very much.

Maltby Turn out.

Date: 07/29/06 11:08
Author: Mudrock

Bill was great friend and help to me in my travels. In Mexico he arranged all the photo runbys we did and I really enjoyed them. He made me always feel welcome where ever I went and was a true friend. I will miss him dearly.
http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Date: 07/29/06 12:17
Author: RD10747

For many years our friend...Our Hearts go out to his Family and Friends. Bob & Laura Drenk

Date: 07/29/06 14:02
Author: WildeBill

I am sorry to hear that Bill has passed on. I really enjoyed and appreciated the Flimsies Hotline. I can still remember the number, 805-499-5574 from having to dial it so much because it was busy so much of the time. Listening to his message and to the SP Executive PBX (Bay Area 160.220) system briefing about 5AM was how I started my day for years in the early 90's.

Date: 07/29/06 15:02
Author: daniel3197

Thank you VERY much for posting this historic numeric info.
One small correction:
The SP Executive PBX on Vollmer Peak (Tilden Park) in Oakland hills
was on 161.220 for the repeater output .
I used to enjoy listening to the brass give their systemwide updates on that radio channel.
Such a huge loss to now have lost BOTH Rob Carlson and Bill Farmer in the same year.
It just goes to show you that you need to appreciate every good thing that happens and
take the extra time to ACTIVELY thank someone.

--- Daniel

WildeBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am sorry to hear that Bill has passed on. I
> really enjoyed and appreciated the Flimsies
> Hotline. I can still remember the number,
> 805-499-5574 from having to dial it so much
> because it was busy so much of the time.
> Listening to his message and to the SP Executive
> PBX (Bay Area 160.220) system briefing about 5AM
> was how I started my day for years in the early
> 90's.

Date: 07/29/06 16:43
Author: Steamjocky

WildeBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Listening to his message and to the SP Executive
> PBX (Bay Area 160.220) system briefing about 5AM
> was how I started my day for years in the early
> 90's.

They were actually called OP&C (Operations, Planning, and Control) situation reports. At least that's what I remember them being called. I had to listen to them too sometimes.

JDE

Date: 07/29/06 18:11
Author: Sal

Although I never met Bill in person, I too frequented the Flimsies Hotline to get the day's railranning information. Sounded like nice guy with his friendly voice and pleasant presentation.

My dad also died of the dreaded disease known as cancer and the same age, 61. Much too young. Hopefully there will one day be a cure.

R.I.P.

Sal Garcia
Pico Rivera, Ca.

Date: 07/29/06 22:24
Author: AC4400CWGEVO

This is one of the last pictures that I have from Bill, he is
on the chair at Train Mountain in Chiloquin, OR.

Photo by John Anderson.

I'll miss you my best friend.

Date: 07/30/06 09:35
Author: jcaestecker

A tireless worker and associate for all of us who love trains, especially here in the West. I'll miss you, Bill, and a belated thanks for all your help over the years.

Highball Pearly Gates!

-john

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1032 seconds