Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Alhambra Sub - Aurant Yard

Date: 12/02/06 15:16
UP Alhambra Sub - Aurant Yard
Author: JimM

Passed by Aurant Yard in Alhambra the other day, and the place seemed empty. At the west end of the yard there's some sort of processing facility with some corn syrup tank cars and hoppers parked out front. Saw a baretable train come in, the conductor hopped out and looked like he checked some switches, then it moved forward and parked. I had to take off after that.

Anyone familiar with the goings-on in that yard, and what it's used for? Thanks.

Date: 12/02/06 15:35
Re: UP Alhambra Sub - Aurant Yard
Author: UPNW2-1083

Basically, the yard is use for storage of the corn syrup cars you mentioned, also storage and over flow for "The Shops" (LATC). Every once in awhile they'll store MOW equipment there, when they're in town.-BMT

Date: 12/02/06 15:38
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

storage of corn syrup cars for corn sweeteners. also it is an back up storage yard for LATC (shops), East LA Yard. Years ago, 1974 and 1975? Aurant was used for the storage of mothballed locomotives.

Date: 12/02/06 18:27
Author: PasadenaSub

Aurant was used to store mothballed locomotives at least until the mid-80's. Here's a shot of Cotton Belt SD45 8967 at Aurant in December, 1984. The yard was rebuilt somewhat in 1991. I have pictures somewhere of my dad running a work train there at the time.

Rich

SanJoaquinEngr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> storage of corn syrup cars for corn sweeteners.
> also it is an back up storage yard for LATC
> (shops), East LA Yard. Years ago, 1974 and 1975?
> Aurant was used for the storage of mothballed
> locomotives.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds