Home Open Account Help 191 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Roster fans- a challenge


Date: 05/08/02 21:24
Roster fans- a challenge
Author: haneckow

Here's a challenge for the roster enabled amoungst us. What roster number has been occupied by the most units on a single railroad over time? My bet is that it will be found on the Union Pacific due to the length of its history and the amount of re-numberings due to assimilations. Anyone want to take a shot at this?



Date: 05/08/02 22:05
Re: Roster fans- a challenge
Author: Evan_Werkema

haneckow wrote:

> Here's a challenge for the roster enabled
> amoungst us. What roster number has been
> occupied by the most units on a single railroad
> over time?

One question - in multiple unit sets with a
single number, like A-B-B-A sets of F's, does
each unit count individually, or does the set
count as one "locomotive" as far as you're
concerned?

Reason I ask is that when this question came up
before, the Santa Fe number with the highest
occupancy I found was 101. ATSF 101's were:

1. A 4-4-0 built in 1878 as Pueblo & Arkansas
Valley 103, later ATSF 101, and off the roster
by 1888.

2. A 4-4-0 built in 1888 by Manchester.
There was also a 4-4-0 numbered 0101, but
as far as the railroad was concerned, 101
and 0101 are different numbers, so we won't
count it.

3. An A-B-B-A set of FT's built in 1941. Santa Fe
shuffled the early FT sets around a lot, so for
simplicity, we'll call 101LABC one locomotive and
leave it at that. The final 101-numbered FT left
the roster around 1960

4. An FP45, which carried the number from 1967
to 1970.

5. An F7-slug set briefly used on the Carlsbad
potash trains. The slug continued on with the
number 101, but the F was renumbered to 241C
when a CF7 took its place in 1972. The slug
was retired in 1981 to be replaced by...

6. Another slug numbered 101, this time built
from a UP GP9. It was renumbered to 1101 in
1989 to make way for

7. Another FP45 numbered 101, introducing the
Superfleet red and silver paint scheme in June
1986. Santa Fe renumbered the FP45's out of
sequence when they put them in the 100-series the
second time, and this 101 was actually the FP45
delivered as 102 in 1967.

8. A GP60M delivered in May 1990 bumped the FP45
out of the 101 slot.

So that makes at least 8 locomotives or slugs
that have carried the number ATSF 101.



Date: 05/09/02 01:37
Re: Roster fans- a challenge
Author: ATSF_101

Evan_Werkema wrote:
>
> 7. Another FP45 numbered 101, introducing the Superfleet red and > silver paint scheme in June 1986.

Hate to be nitpicky, Sir Evan, but I was re-introduced into the red-and-silver warbonnet paint scheme in July, 1989. Thanks, Mr. Haverty! Man, what a life it's been...

Take care.

"ATSF 101, out."



Date: 05/09/02 02:04
Re: Roster fans- a challenge
Author: Evan_Werkema

I wrote:

>6. Another slug numbered 101, this time built
>from a UP GP9. It was renumbered to 1101 in
>1989 to make way for
>
>7. Another FP45 numbered 101, introducing the
>Superfleet red and silver paint scheme in June
>1986.

ATSF_101 wrote:

> Hate to be nitpicky, Sir Evan, but I was re-
> introduced into the red-and-silver warbonnet
> paint scheme in July, 1989.

Egad, how did I do that? Got the year right
in #6 and blew it in #7. Must be the Klez
virus...yes, that's it, it's the Klez virus
spoofing me. ;^)

Thanks 101, July 1989 is it.

> Thanks, Mr. Haverty! Man, what a life it's
> been...

So how's IRM treating you these days, "92?"



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds