Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > New 2MT-CTC in service on the Sunset Route

Date: 08/08/07 00:56
New 2MT-CTC in service on the Sunset Route
Author: David.Curlee

UP cut in a large stretch of 2MT-CTC on the Sunset Route this week between Bowie and Raso, a distance of about 15 miles.

A few weeks ago, the 2MT-CTC from Karro to Bowie (13 miles) was placed into service, on paper at least, although I'm told that it's currently out of service.

If you count both of these additions, El Paso to Tucson is now 2MT-CTC everywhere except for one last gap of 16 miles from Cochise to Raso.

Date: 08/08/07 01:19
Re: New 2MT-CTC in service on the Sunset Route
Author: Diddle_E._Squat

David.Curlee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> If you count both of these additions, El Paso to
> Tucson is now 2MT-CTC everywhere except for one
> last gap of 16 miles from Cochise to Raso.

So after that last gap are the plans to immediately start double-tracking west of Tucson?

Date: 08/08/07 02:24
Author: billio

Thanx for the update, David. It's not clear to me whether UP will next fill in the 15-mile gap between Raso and Cochise, or start building west from Tucson and come back later to fill in the gap. Their 2006 annual Analyst Fact Book (p 10), which can be viewed at the UP web site by clicking on "Investors," reveals a gap which, one presumes, corresponds to the one between Raso and Cochise, then shows more construction from Tucson west toward Picacho.

Since construction on the Sunset Route has been proceeding pretty much systematically from El Paso on west, I don't understand why UP would leave a 15-mile single-track gap in the wake of construction. I'm sure they have their reasons; I'm just not sure I'd have done what they did in the order they have chosen. But that's Monday morning quarterbacking.

Date: 08/08/07 04:28
Author: mexrail

That single track stretch goes through the small city of Willcox. Just this past week the city and UP came to an agreement on the second track and UP agreed to provide the city with a few goodies. See the attached article.

Also this area just west of Willcox is a dry lake bed (probably filled with water now with all of the monsoon rains). UP crosses this area (at least 2-3 miles long), known as the Willcox Playa, on a fill. Could be UP will wait until rains quit(about Sept 1). In the winter this is a great bird watching area as the sandhill cranes winter here.

http://www.willcoxrangenews.com/articles/2007/08/01/news/news10.txt

Mexrail

Date: 08/08/07 06:26
Author: Amtk509

Two major issues with the Wilcox Playa is that even when dry the ground is pretty soft and two is that the current mainline sits about 4 feet high on fill dirt as mentioned earlier. This why the speed limit drops from 70-79 to 60 when going accross this short stretch. I've been accross this many times on #1/2 and even at 60 it was quite bumpy.

Date: 08/08/07 06:30
Author: billio

Thanks, MexRail, for the update and fill-in. Sounds like they extorted a few civic goodies from UP as a prerequisite for municipal sign-off on all the paperwork. UP's revenge: 90 trains per day, projected after completion of the double tracking from El Paso to West Colton.
--billio

Date: 08/08/07 13:26
Author: mundo

Since the UP would like to build a new Tucson yard, near Picacho, that could be one reason to go west of Tucson.

The state is fighting the yard, but double track would put the foot in the door. All just a thought.

Date: 08/08/07 15:51
Author: BCHellman

Karro to Bowie single track account grade crossing Bowie not properly permitted from ACC.

Date: 08/08/07 22:22
Author: ProAmtrak

Won't surprise me if they reach the Arizona/California border by this time next year if not sooner!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0413 seconds