Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > MRL, Columbia River, and Stuff road trip. Part 1

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/12/07 21:19
MRL, Columbia River, and Stuff road trip. Part 1
Author: UP9000

Good Evening All-

My wife and I returned to our home here in northern California this morning at 2:30 AM, after a crazy drive from The Dalles, Or. Thanks to a goofed reservation at our hotel in Klamath Falls, we decided that the Hotel Home sounded best, so we just made the long drive home.

Our trip started a week ago, driving from here in NWP country to my Grandma's home in Boise, Id. After some time there, we headed on up to Helena, Mt. Another long drive, a familiar theme on this trip.

We finally got track side on Tuesday morning and the MRL started with a bang. As we pulled up to the Depot, Helper 3 was rolling west out of town, and a crew was boarding the WB KCKPAS with 5 Boeing 737's on the head end.

Photo 1 KCKPAS at Austin

Photo 2 KCKPAS- Boeing 737 flying over Skyline Trestle

Photo 3 MRL Helper 3 mid train on the KCKPAS on Skyline Trestle

Jamie Miller

Date: 08/12/07 21:32
MRL, Columbia River, and Stuff road trip. Part 2

After the Boeing Train headed west, Helper 3 returned to Helena Jct, and met up with Helper 4, as WB coal train was on the way. One of the things I really wanted to see was a coal train with double manned helpers. And the MRL was in a giving mood. It even had a green and cream BN 70MAC on the point, my wife's favorite locomotive.

Photo 1 Coal Train just east of Austin

Photo 2 Coal train emerging from Mullan Tunnel

Photo 3 MRL Helper 4 mid train at Mullan Tunnel

Date: 08/12/07 21:44
MRL, Columbia River, and Stuff road trip. Part 3

After the coal train, we headed west and south to the town of Deer Lodge. I wanted to see the Milwaukee Little Joe. We got a bite to eat there, and then headed west through the smoke to Missoula. We checked into our hotel, and then headed out to catch the Gas Train. At 1st, it was going to take the 10th Sub. Yet at the last minute, they called the DS and said they didn't think they would make the hill, so they went the River Line on the 4th sub. They had a large cut of cars for Paradise on the head end of the tank cars. We were able to get a couple shots of him, and then we drove a bunch, looking for a good photo spot. Yet never really found one. Tired of searching and driving, we headed back to Missoula for a good dinner and some rest.

Photo 1: Little Joe E70 at Deer Lodge

Photo 2: The Gas Train just east of Lothrop

Photo 3: The Gas Train near Cyr

Date: 08/12/07 21:45
Re: MRL, Columbia River, and Stuff road trip. Part 2
Author: NscaleMike

Nice sharp work...
Great images

What kind of equipment are you shooting with?

Date: 08/12/07 21:50
Re: MRL, Columbia River, and Stuff road trip. Part 2
Author: mtnwestrail

Nice photos, Jamie. And not a whole lot of smoke from the fires either. ;-]

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 08/12/07 22:01
MRL, Columbia River, and Stuff road trip. Part 4

After our full day on the MRL, we headed west to Sandpoint, Idaho on Wednesday morning. We drove from Missoula to Sandpoint, and didn't see a single train until about 30 miles east of Sandpoint. It's too bad, because the scenery was amazing! Yet the lack of trains and cold overcast was a bit frustrating. When we got to Sandpoint, we were blown away. Yet not in a good way. We knew it was a small resort town, but I did not expect it to be like a small version of Tahoe with so many tourists and expensive restaurants and shops. After driving around town twice, trying to find a place to eat, we said the heck with it, and headed for Spokane. We had planned to take a try at photographing Marshall Canyon. However, while eating lunch at a little road side cafe at Athol, Id, we talked it over, and decided we just wanted to be some place familiar. So we decided to cancel our hotel reservations for Sandpoint and Spokane, and make a run for The Dalles and the Columbia River. We did make a stop on Providence Hill and shot a couple trains, and then headed on to The Dalles for a late evening arrival.

Photo 1: BNSF WB Coal Train crossing Lake Pend Oreille on the MRL

Photo 2: WB at the summit of Providence Hill

Photo 3: EB near the summit of Providence

Date: 08/12/07 22:15
MRL, Columbia River, and Stuff road trip. Part 5

We awoke Thursday morning in The Dalles. A place we are very familiar with, and a place full of trains. The BNSF did not dissapoint us, as they ran several trains for us to photograph on Thursday. Yet to go back in time, we should have spent the day on the UP side of the Columbia. The UP was running trains like street cars. I am not sure if it was due to a derailment, or a backup from track work, but we saw and heard nearly 20 trains on the UP side of the River on Thursday. Yet we can photograph far more UP any time here in the Bay Area then BNSF trains, so we just relaxed and waited for the BNSF to run their trains. And they did provide.

Photo 1: A BNSF EB with all green power heads east at Avery, Wa.

Photo 2: A BNSF WB rolls along the river west of North Dalles

Photo 3: A BNSF EB Z train speeds east while a UP WB runs west along the River. Photographed from above Horsethief Lake.

Date: 08/12/07 22:26
MRL, Columbia River, and Stuff road trip. Part 6

On Friday, we headed east to Maryhill to get a photo that I have seen on several photo sites. It took a little patience, but the BNSF did run a train through the scene. And it was lead by a BN GP38-2, I could not ask for anything better. We missed a nice EB after lunch that was powered by a pair of CSX GE's, but did get a nice WB lead by a KCS SD70ACE. It was a pretty normal day of foaming the BNSF in the Gorge.

Photo 1: BNSF EB near Maryhill, Wa. with Mt Hood in the background.

Photo 2: KCS ACE leading a WB through Lyle, Wa.

Photo 3: WB Coal Train crossing Horsethief Lake.

Date: 08/12/07 22:40
Re: MRL, Columbia River, and Stuff road trip. Part 7

Saturday morning, we headed to the Mount Hood Railroad to photograph their new steam locomotive, former Grand Canyon 18. Originally working for the LS&I, the little 2-8-0 put on a great show climbing the steep grade as she crossed over Hwy 35. We were able to get a couple other photos of her before it was time to head south to Klamath Falls, and eventually home.

Photo 1: 2-8-0 #18 climbing to the bridge over Hwy 35.

Photo 2 # 18 in the small town of Pine Grove, Oregon

Photo 3 The 18 and train heads to Odell at Pine Grove with Mount Hood looming in the background.

The End, hope you enjoyed the ride. 3000 miles of driving in 8 days. YIKES! What were we thinking?

Jamie & Amy Miller
Rohnert Park, Ca

Date: 08/13/07 06:32
Author: geomel1

GREAT shots; thanks for posting!

Date: 08/13/07 12:09
Author: PaulMerriman

Interesting comments about Sandpoint, as when I am foaming up that way, I always refer to it as "the Devil". Everything there is way too expensive, getting throuigh town is a big drag, and the bridge is always congested both ways. Now it is under construction! You have to be on your toes too, as pedestrians are walking everywhere. Usually, I am trying to get through there as quick as I can to chase a train in some direction, and find myself dreading the trip through, especially between noon and 5 or any weekend day. It is a beautiful town on a beautiful lake, no doubt. But the La Quinta there is 150 dollars in the summer.....LA QUINTA?!?! I brought my wife up once, she wanted to go to Coldwater Creek store, and left with nothing, as too high for us. Their mail order wasn't like that.

The Country Inn on the west side of the causeway near Algoma is good for 40-50 bux a night when you can get it. A bit old, sure, but railfan friendly because of the price, and the way you can park your car right by your room. Did I mention Magic Fingers?

Regarding the trains on BNSF, yes they were way down this year, just based on what I saw in the Funnel and Gorge a few weeks ago. Not like previous years when BNSF was chocked. UP was running trains all over the place as well. BNSF just had a slowdown, and reflected in the drop in stock price. It seems UP has got some of their business.

Date: 08/13/07 13:07
Author: ET

Looks like you had a nice trip Jamie and Amy. Great shots.

Erik

Date: 08/13/07 13:42
Author: Z-WSPLAC1

> Regarding the trains on BNSF, yes they were way
> down this year, just based on what I saw in the
> Funnel and Gorge a few weeks ago. Not like
> previous years when BNSF was chocked. UP was
> running trains all over the place as well. BNSF
> just had a slowdown, and reflected in the drop in
> stock price. It seems UP has got some of their
> business.

I just got back from the gorge and saw no up trains and 3 bnsf's (all west) on my ride home on I-84. And I saw 6 (4 east 2 west) bnsf trains on the lakeside sub on my ride home on US 395/I-90.

What are you talking about u.p. was running trains all over the place? I got bored!

Date: 08/13/07 15:20

>>>just got back from the gorge and saw no up trains and 3 bnsf's (all west) on my ride home on I-84. And I saw 6 (4 east 2 west) bnsf trains on the lakeside sub on my ride home on US 395/I-90.

What are you talking about u.p. was running trains all over the place? I got bored!<<<

Except for that afternoon where the UP was going nuts, they were pretty quiet. The BNSF was a tad slower then last year, but still busy enough for us.

Date: 08/13/07 15:23
Re: MRL, Columbia River, and Stuff road trip. Part 4
Author: monaddave

UP9000 Wrote:
>>We drove from Missoula to Sandpoint, and didn't see a single train until about 30 miles east of Sandpoint.>

One problem with MRL's far west end is that many miles are away from Hwy 200 and you can miss a train, with or without a radio. Also, most trains run at night on that end of the railroad. It is one of those places where you need to come camp out for several days; set a spell, put your feet up, and just get bored.

>>Photo 1: BNSF WB Coal Train crossing Lake Pend Oreille on the MRL>>

re-posted....
That would be the Pack River Fill. I originally thought you were shooting the long BNSF bridge. Squinting to look at the thumbnails.

Dave in Msla

Date: 08/13/07 16:35
Author: Indecline

Some very nice photos at all of the locations you visited! The number of trains on the UP last Thursday was certainly not the norm! It was my The Dalles day for work and I can recall being amazed at the volume of UP trains parading by the office that day. Maybe the most I've noted in a single work day!

Spuds is a fairly reasonable place to eat in Sandpoint, my wife and I ate there on our way to Canada recently and it wasn't too bad price wise and the view is great out on the deck.

Dan

Date: 08/13/07 16:39
Author: Indecline

monaddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> >>Photo 1: BNSF WB Coal Train crossing Lake Pend
> Oreille on the MRL>>
>
> Psssst, you might want to rephrase this. Crossing
> Lake Pond O'Ray on BNSF.
>
> Dave in Msla

I know you run this line, but that sure looks like the old NP causeway where the semephore used to be and then became MRL.

Date: 08/13/07 17:35
Author: monaddave

>> I know you run this line, but that sure looks like
> the old NP causeway where the semephore used to be
> and then became MRL.

Ack -
You are right. I had to squint to see my thumbnail better. I'll change my original post.

Thanks,
Dave

Date: 08/14/07 09:47
Author: upbuddyboy

Great photos...does your wife like trains too, Jamie? What a plus!!!

Date: 08/14/07 12:51

Yes, Amy is a foamer as well! Standing next to me in every photo you see here, using her Nikon D50 to record the moment.

Jamie

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0934 seconds