Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Solid SP lashup

Date: 06/02/02 13:05
Solid SP lashup
Author: photobob

My websites photo of the week shows Train 376 the "Starpacer" at the Mott-Azalea crossovers. The early 60's were a great time for railfans with hot shot freight trains having a name that could have applied to passenger service. Somehow a train with symbols such as Z-ALLCRAP just dont have the same appeal. Of course a freight lead by F's can be called anything.

http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/index.html

Date: 06/02/02 13:32
Re: Solid SP lashup
Author: tcnr

Another great Photobob shot, great SP power and the GN/NP cars are classics too. Amazing to see the difference in the location between the centuries, er, decades. The telegraph wires to the right are gone and the edge of the fill seems to be a lot closer and steeper now. The ballast slopes were quite a bit different in those days. No whining here.

Date: 06/03/02 10:51
Re: Solid SP lashup
Author: mojaveguy

Photobob,

Thanks for the very good and nostalgic photo when our world was very different.

And thanks also for your film contribution to Charles Smiley's video "Donner Pass Thunder." I refer to the filming on board the east bound Amtrak between Sacramento and Reno on Christmas Eve day of 1971.

It brought back wonderful memories as I recall on that very day making my way through the same storm on I-80 to reach Donner Lake from Berkeley to spend the last Christmas with my family intact; my folks and two brothers and sister. My dad passed away less than two months later.

Our cabin at the west end of the lake was up against the base of the mountain side and I could clearly hear west bounds as they approached Norden.

Those were good days and your video helped relive them. Thanks again.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0322 seconds