Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > How does coal get from the Moffat to the KP?

Date: 09/23/07 15:14
How does coal get from the Moffat to the KP?
Author: timz

I see on the aerial pics that the east end of the ex-Rock Island trunk line around Denver has been removed. So how do coal trains off the Moffat get to the Kansas City line?

Date: 09/23/07 15:19
Re: How does coal get from the Moffat to the KP?

Ah-- now I see it, maybe. It goes compass-east on the Belt and then turns south and dips under the Q main to a wye connection with the DP compass-NE of Pullman. I guess that track was always there-- they just had to upgrade it for the coal?

Date: 09/23/07 15:25
Author: KoloradoKid

I hear they are going to re-connect the old RI connection to eliminate the twists and turns. Now if they will build that yard out east so they can de-remote the trains there instead of at Pecos street!

KK

Date: 09/23/07 15:46

Oh? You mean put all the Trunk back, all the way out to Sandown?

Date: 09/23/07 16:33
Author: mojaveflyer

The hotel was built on the old RI right of way with the understanding that UP may want it back. Rumor Control says they're going to put the RI main in so it reconnects with the KP at Sandown, east of Quebec street in northeast Denver, CO. There's also a plan to put in an overpass for Pecos Street so it is not blocked by parked trains on the By Pass tracks completed a couple of years ago. From what I've heard, the lack of an overpass was not necessarily UP's fault although the county government is letting UP take the heat for it. A recent newspaper article says UP and RTD (Regional transit District) have almost reached an agreement to build a new yard for UP north of Denver, near Brighton, and RTD will get UP's yards just north of downtown Denver. Lots of changes coming...

Date: 09/23/07 17:41
Author: millerdc

At one time someone from the Denver area had posted an outstanding map of the Denver railroad scene along with reports on the various projects underway or projected. Can't seem to find it anymore. Anybody else remember this?

Date: 09/24/07 02:51
Author: DRGW

millerdc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At one time someone from the Denver area had
> posted an outstanding map of the Denver railroad
> scene along with reports on the various projects
> underway or projected. Can't seem to find it
> anymore. Anybody else remember this?

You're thinking of Kevin Morgan's excellent website. The name of his website changed earlier this year; It was formerly drgw.ws but he had to change the domain name when his registration expired with no notice, and some lowlife picked it up within just a few minutes of expiration. Here ya go:

Main page:
http://www.coloradorailfan.com/

Maps:
http://www.coloradorailfan.com/data/maps/maps.asp

Projects:
http://www.coloradorailfan.com/data/projects/projects.asp

Take care,
-Wes

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds