Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Train vs Truck in PDX

Date: 06/14/02 10:15
Train vs Truck in PDX
Author: F40PHR231

Another one to add to the list, truck vs train at 143 & Sandy in NE Portland. So far as reported, no injuries.

Am not sure if this particular crossing has gates, as some are heavily guarded on that street. But there are some with a measly crossbuck that's about to fall off.

~Chris

Date: 06/14/02 11:45
news link

Date: 06/14/02 15:33
Re: Train vs Truck in PDX
Author: rrradioguy

Chris,

Is this the same crossing that the same thing happened about 2-3 years ago?? I think there was a fatality there.

And I think that is the crossing just east of the 138th crossing for Costco.

Does this sound familiar?

Kevin

Date: 06/14/02 15:46
Author: Jim700

from the news article:

"Driver Paul Trickett had waited for traffic to clear in front of him before crossing."

How thoughtful of him for at least not parking on the crossing while waiting in line!

"“When I looked, I thought, ‘Oh no…,’” he said."

Guess he just forgot to read the rest of the motor vehicle drivers' manual which says you ought to look before crossing, not wait until during crossing.

Chris, I hope you weren't implying fault of the UPRR on those crossings in that area with your writing about the "measly crossbuck that's about to fall off". Whether "heavily guarded" or even if the "measly crossbuck" has fallen off, there's still rails visibly in place which require compliance with the motor vehicle drivers' code by the vehicle driver.

Date: 06/14/02 16:40

Jim700 wrote:

> Chris, I hope you weren't implying fault of the UPRR on those
> crossings in that area with your writing about the "measly
> crossbuck that's about to fall off".

No I wasn't implying it was UPs fault, (even though at first glance, it would sound like it from me!). I used those terms to describe the condition of some crossbucks I've seen out there, that is just several blocks away from a heavily guarded crossing.

Yes, this is an issue of tracks already being there. The trucker waited prior clearance of traffic, so he KNEW there were tracks there. I'm just glad nobody got hurt.

To answer someone else' question... I believe the fatal accident happened at 138th (Cosco road) when a Canadian trucker was talking on his cell phone. (Though it could have been at 143rd, same place anyhow). Caused quite an explosion and fireball...

~Chris

Date: 06/15/02 14:22
Author: nickatnight

Hey guys...this is the same crossing as the fatal several years ago involving the Canadian trucker. It is a crossing on a private roadway leading to a couple of small plants on the NORTH side of Sandy. The crossing has no gates/lights (mentioned earlier). The driveway tends to face slightly northwest/southeast. This angle tends to result in southbound traffic facing slightly east when approaching the crossing. Therefore, trains coming from the west are not directly off to your right side, but slightly behind and to the right. In each of the serious accidents here (at least 3 in 3 years) the train was coming from the west and struck the (fouling) vehicle in the right hand side. I would guess the trucker glances to the right when approaching the crossing, doesn't see any big headlight or shape, and then goes back to trying to get out into Sandy (very busy for only 2 lanes wide). If the trucker had to wait even a full minute (or two) -- an Eastbound train that would have been only a dot on the horizon would suddenly be "in your face" territory in that time. I am always surprised that the truckers dont hear the train blowing for the 138th crossing but I'm guessing the cab gets noisy at times.

Nickatnight

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0563 seconds