Home Open Account Help 398 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > US House of Rep. passes RR Safety Improvement Act

Date: 10/18/07 14:10
US House of Rep. passes RR Safety Improvement Act
Author: rbx551985

Oct. 18 news from RAILWAY AGE Magazine:

Hoffa hails union victory on rail safety

The U.S House of Representatives yesterday passed the Railroad Safety Improvement Act, H. R. 2095, by a vote of 377 to 38. Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa called it "a major victory for our rail members, the engineers, trainmen, and maintenance of way workers who ensure that this nation's rail system runs safely." Fred Simpson, president of the Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees Division of the Teamsters Rail Conference, commented: "We've been fighting Norfolk Southern for years about eliminating their disgusting camp cars and finally Congress is backing us up."

The act also sets new limits for limbo time for locomotive engineers and trainmen. "This is a step in the right direction to impede the rail carriers' abuse of our much needed rest time," said Don Hahs, president of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen.

Meanwhile, the reaction of BLET's rival in operating employee representation, the United Transportation Union, showed that the two were right in step on this issue. Said UTU International President Paul Thompson: "Railroads have been thumbing their noses at public safety, national security, and their workers' well-being, and now a bi-partisan super majority in the House has shoved that arrogant thumb back up the railroads' egos."

A major provision of the legislation that was opposed by railroads would set a deadline of 2014 for installation of positive train control; railroads say they would rather move at their own pace toward this important but costly milestone rather than one established by Congress. Complicated issues remain to be resolved, they point out, including that of interoperability, which a railroad working group is currently addressing.

Date: 10/18/07 14:17
Re: US House of Rep. passes RR Safety Improvement Act
Author: stanhunter

I'm surprised by the unions' support for the implementation of PTC...seems to me that the railroads will (try to) use PTC to go to one-man crews, and then...who knows? Someone in the cab, but not necessarily a skilled operator? I think the fight's just beginning.

Date: 10/19/07 05:28
Author: Rail1

You dont know that for sure. PTC is a safety enhancement. ANY reduction in crew consist size will have to be argeed upon with the unions. You can bet the FRA and government will be involved also. There are still some locomotives running out there WITHOUT alertors or air flow meters! This has been talked about for 20 years and is LONG overdue. Last round of contract talks the carriers wanted one man crews in their section 6 notice wish list. You saw want happened to that idea. It didnt happen!

Date: 10/19/07 12:25
Author: James1

I think the railroads have finally managed to make everybody mad, at the same time. The unions, the shippers, the government, all of 'em. I guess I'm not real sure what they thought would happen. Doh!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds