Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Missouri Central

Date: 11/15/07 10:22
Missouri Central
Author: jdtravis

I was crossing Creve Coeur Lake on Page Ave. today and I saw a short train on the Missouri Central tracks. A lumber load and some covered hoppers behind an EMD switcher. I wasn't in a position to get any closer so I didn't catch any reporting marks on the switcher. I know Ameren owns the tracks, I think former Rock Island, but I thought they were abandoned. Anyone in the St. Louis area know anything about the frequency of trains and who is using these tracks?

Date: 11/15/07 10:46
Re: Missouri Central
Author: RobJ

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1455295,1455295#msg-1455295

Hey, Hey, I remembered it was Progressive Rail I also thought of looking up above for the message number. That is if this is the line you are talking about.?

Bob

Date: 11/15/07 14:03
Author: stlrailfan

JD travis,

How are you sir, the tracks and train you saw are those of the Central Midland Railway although the railroad is actually run by Progressive Rail of Lakeville, Mn ( they took over operations of the line in july 2007 ) Powering the train you saw was one of two ex Appalachicola Northern SW1500's leased from Helm Leasing to operate the line. I would say most activity is in the industrial park located near westport plaza and runs are made to the Jefferson Smurfit plant in the chesterfield area a couple times a week. The line is still in use all the way out to Union , Mo and I believe they only run out that way like once a week. Operations base for the line is the former RI, SSW Lackland yard in Olivette, Mo and they usually only work monday thru friday. I hope this answers most of your questions.
Mark Mautner

Date: 11/15/07 14:35
Author: kushtaka

A few years back there was a rumor floating around Osage County (Missouri) that a tie plant might be moving in there to take advantage of the local workforce economics and the trees you can see as one of the greenest parts of the country in satellite photos. That would have opened up those rails to somewhere between Freeburg and Meta most likely.

Does anyone know if there was actually any real interest in it, and if so what killed it? Or was it just some wishful thinking like the wild rumor from the Ozarks that they were trying to open it to KC with a new branch to the lakes and run it as a steam excursion and alternate coal haul to the UP along the river?

Date: 11/15/07 14:46
Author: jdtravis

I'm quite fine thank you and I'm a bit more enlightened than I was earlier today. Now that I know it wasn't a fluke, I need to go and get some pictures. Thanks again!

Date: 11/15/07 17:57
Author: XMOP

The units that you saw were on the Missouri Central Tracks, owned by Ameren. Amren's ownership ends at Vigus, near Creve Coeur Mill Road and Prichard Farm Road. From that point to the Lackland Yard is still UP land from the SP who picked up the Rock Island Line across the state.

Now to make things a little more confusing the two sections were both operated by Central Midland which was in the Indiana Railroad family until recently, when Progressive Railroad of Minnesota acquired this operation.

With the rolling stock you saw, it sounds like it was going to or coming from Union. Apparently the customers in Union are a lumber yard and a plastics plant.

The following is an extraction from the web site of Central Midland Railway.

"Missouri Central"

Central Midland Railway has been contracted by Ameren Corporation to operate this railroad. The MOC as it is affectionately called was part of the LACKLAND subdivision of the Union Pacific Railroad, originally part of the old Rock Island Line.

The line is approximately 255 miles and stretches from west of Vigus, MO. to Pleasant Hill, Mo. Currently, the operating track stretches from to Vigus to Union.

For quotes on rail service on this line, please contact Jordan Buck at (618)667-9803.

Ron Zimmer

Date: 11/15/07 22:58
Author: FRISCOGARY

I heard a rumor that some big rail served industry was supposed to move in a Owensville, but this was a while back and I haven't heard anything since.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0526 seconds