Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Caboose in Dagget scrap yard

Date: 10/24/08 09:05
Caboose in Dagget scrap yard
Author: wattslocal

The two Silverton cabooses were sold and moved by Floyd Wyley and son in Dagget, Calif. Floyd still has a very battered cab and reefer for sale. The yard is east of the airport on National Trails Hwy. He's getting up there in years to be in scrap business.

Good luck Greg

Wattslocal

Date: 10/25/08 09:47
Re: Caboose in Dagget scrap yard
Author: atsfm177

Can you identify the road name & style of his caboose? I just drove down that way yesterday trying to identity his property based on my visit from 15 years ago. I saw one extended vision Sante Fe caboose that looked decent from the road, and one much more faded Sante Fe caboose on a campground property farther east.

Also saw a lot of boxcar or reefer type bodies all over the area so they weren't much of a landmark. :-)

Greg

Date: 10/26/08 19:42
Author: wattslocal

The ATSF wide vision caboose along National Trails Highway is east of Wyley's scrap yard. This was one of the WARM cabooses once on display at Barstow Depot. Wyley's yard is accessed from National Trails Hwy, but best seen from I-40 looking north. Wyley trucked all those SFRD reefers from San bernardino all over that area.

Which reminds me, does anyone remember "Reefer City" up by Rosamond along the SP? There were at least 20 or so wood reefers when I saw them in the early 50s. Twenty years back there were only a few left.

Wattslocal

Date: 10/26/08 23:05
Author: bnsfdevore

There's a ATSF Caboose for sale on Craigslist for the Inland Empire, Ca. $12,000. What I wouldn't give to get one!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0287 seconds