Home Open Account Help 179 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Houston area hobby shop advice

Date: 11/11/08 16:08
Houston area hobby shop advice
Author: dschlegel

I will be making a trip to the Houston area to spend time with my wife's family over the Thanksgiving week. While I do not anticipate much time for railfanning, I do anticipate plenty of tag along trips with my wife and her sisters to go shopping (I can hardly contain my self I am so excited, yeah I'm telling a lie). Our week will be split between Pearland and Conroe/Woodlands. Are there any hobby shops with a decent N scale selection in these areas? I have been to Pearland several times and have never noticed any hobby shops besides Hobby Lobby (along Gulf Freeway near Baybrook Mall)which didn't quite have the selection I was looking for.

Also, are there any rail museums nearby? I have been to the Galveston museum several times but would like to check out any more if we have time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated to this eastern Pennsylvania railfan/modeler.

Dan Schlegel

Date: 11/11/08 17:40
Re: Houston area hobby shop advice
Author: railstiesballast

Check with the Galveston Museum people, they got a lot of water from Ike or one of the other storms. Galveston itself may be a lesson in coastal survival in our new age for that matter.

Date: 11/11/08 18:41
Author: SpaceTrain

Dan,

Pappa Ben's Train shop is a pretty good N-scale place (they host the Houston "N" Crowd train club). They are moving, as of last month, so here is the URL for them http://www.papabens.com. Hopefully, you can find them on Bellaire.

You can also try Spring Crossing, up in Spring, just south of the Woodlands. They are at 1420 Spring Cypress Rd., just off of Interstate 45. Their selection tends to be more on the HO scale, but they sometimes have good N-scale stuff.

If you are in Pearland, you will be happy to note that the BNSF runs the Mykawa sub right through Pearland between the New South Yard and the Alvin Wye. Head ten miles south, you get to Alvin (where the Wye is), which has a connection to the BNSF Galveston Sub. The neat thing is, you can go all the way from Pearland up to the Loop 610 in Mykawa road, which parallels the tracks. Lots of both BNSF and UP trains use that. In Alvin, about 20~30 trains a day go through there, either heading up/down the UP Angleton Sub into far south Texas, or coming down from the north on the BNSF towards Galveston. Head four miles out of Alvin to the southeast, you hit Algoa, which is a little blinking yellow on Highway 6. There is where the UP Angleton sub branches out, and where a lot of traffic happens (alas, it is not a great photo op as the tracks are northbound).

Have fun down here, and enjoy your thanksgiving!

Roger

Date: 11/11/08 21:07
Author: RickL

There is also Larry's Hobbies at 1960 and 45 just south of Spring. They've got a good train section.

RickL

Date: 11/11/08 21:48
Author: kd0086

There is G&G Model Shop in Houston located on Times Blvd at Kirby Drive. www.gandgmodelshop.com
You can also take HWY 288 NORTH exit Bellfort. Stay on the feeder rd, crossing Bellfort until you get to Holmes RD. The feeder dead ends at Holmes RD. Right there is part of UP'S Sunset Route. Take a left and follow the tracks. About 40 - 45 trains a day. (UP, BNSF, KCS) Once the trains clear West Junction they move at a pretty good clip up to 60 mph. Have Fun!!!

Date: 11/12/08 09:36
Author: dschlegel

Thank you all for your responses!

I have on past trips fanned along Mykawa road when I had free time. In addition, every visit to Pearland I insist on eating at Central Texas BBQ which is next to the crossing on 518 (accross from first baptist church) or at the busy bee cafe. Now it has been since 2005 that I have been down and I understand that Pearland has grown even more, but I'm hoping the stuff around the BNSF line is fairly unchanged.

I will try to check out the shops that everyone has mentioned. Hopefully there will be things to keep my wife and in-laws occupied.

Thanks again!
Dan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3313 seconds