Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Crud On The Ground In Newark Toxic Spill

Date: 11/20/08 07:29
Crud On The Ground In Newark Toxic Spill
Author: nspctrjn

Bittern is terrible stuff- it is crud. Cargill has had their problems in trying to rid themselves of this nasty by-product of salt production. There have been a lot of spills- yes a lot of crud on the ground. See Article:http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_/ai_n21086821

On the Newark side of San Francisco Bay they can load tank cars and ship it out. They can also pump it across the bay to Redwood City and load it onto barges and ship it out (See photo).

On the Redwood City side I do not remember ever seeing a RR tank car at the Cargill (Leslie) Salt Terminal. They stored this "stuff" in bittern ponds and pumped it to a waiting barge. Cargill sold the Redwood City Salt Terminal but they kept the rights to the wharf and the bittern pipeline for 10 years. Cargill sold a 50 acre bittern pond about 20 years ago and after a 15 year struggle it is finally becoming a 400 boat yacht harbor. Westpoint Harbor:http://www.westpointharbor.com/

Date: 11/20/08 07:33
Re: Crud On The Ground In Newark Toxic Spill
Author: espeeboy

Yeah, you might want to change your subject wording as "Crud on the Ground" in railfan terms means a SW1500 has derailed.

Really, how many of you guys clicked on this thread because you expected to see the ex-SP Crud that Shed47 shot in Newark the other day derailed on the ground in Newark?!?!

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1807968

~~~

Date: 11/20/08 07:57
Author: nspctrjn

espeeboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, you might want to change your subject
> wording as "Crud on the Ground" in railfan terms
> means a SW1500 has derailed.
>
> ~~~

I know that. I did not want to high-jack Shed 47's thread but I wanted his 600+ viewers to know some more of the "bittern" story there in Newark.

Date: 11/20/08 08:30
Author: mirage

I'm with the confused. If you know that your title's going to confuse people, and you use it anyway, how are you helping? If as you say you're trying to educate all of us salt deficient railfans, try 'More on Leslie Salt and San Francisco Bay'. In fact, before you confuse more people, how about you delete this thread and do it right?

--Mark J

Date: 11/20/08 08:41
Author: wheel_slip

espeeboy Wrote:
> Yeah, you might want to change your subject
> wording as "Crud on the Ground" in railfan terms
> means a SW1500 has derailed.
>
> Really, how many of you guys clicked on this
> thread because you expected to see the ex-SP Crud
> that Shed47 shot in Newark the other day derailed
> on the ground in Newark?!?!
>
> http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1
> 807968
>
> ~~~
That's exactly why I clicked on the thread...

Andy

Date: 11/20/08 08:43
Author: brianbergtold

This guy is just 'bittern' that more people don't click on his epic posts full of google sourced 'crud'.

Date: 11/20/08 08:48
Author: a737flyer

I would like to know why Newark is not identified as California. I have been through Newark, California three times laying over from a flight that landed in San Jose. Wasn't really a hot spot of activity as near as i could tell. The only "Newark" I knew was across the river from New York City.

This is not the "California" forum...it is the WESTERN forum.

Date: 11/20/08 09:06
Author: espeeboy

a737flyer Wrote:
> I would like to know why Newark is not identified
> as California. I have been through Newark,
> California three times laying over from a flight
> that landed in San Jose. Wasn't really a hot spot
> of activity as near as i could tell. The only
> "Newark" I knew was across the river from New York
> City.
>
> This is not the "California" forum...it is the
> WESTERN forum.

So seeing it's not Newark, NJ in being the Western forum, what other Newarks West of the Mississippi do you know of?

I've found two other dinky Newarks in the West, one in Texas with tracks through town and one in Illinois with no tracks through town.

~~~

Date: 11/20/08 09:17
Author: CPRR

I too was mislead. However, where does Leslie send the bad stuff? Does the barge go out 100 miles in the Pacific, and open the tank valve?

Date: 11/20/08 09:56
Author: P5r24

I thought Leslie made airhorns!

This thread has driven me to Newark just reading it.

Keep the Faith and don't look back - LOL!!!!

P5r24
completly out

Date: 11/20/08 15:59
Author: MacBeau

I can't wait to see what TCS and Gonut do with this material. As for the post itself, I found the article interesting and a little additional research provided the chemical compositions I'm always interested in knowing, along with what bittern is used for as a refining stock, thusly dumping it off would be the equivalent of throwing money away (and only Congress really knows how to do that).
—Mac

Date: 11/21/08 04:53
Author: LarryG

More importantly, the Bittern was an LNER Gresley Class A4! Many of the locomotives in this class were named after birds, including the Mallard, which holds the world speed record for steam locomotives at 126 mph. Built At Doncaster in 1937 as LNER's No. 4464, the Bittern saw regular service on the Flying Scotsman. It was later renumbered to 60019. It was one of the last A4s to see regular service. Although in an apparent state of disrepair, this locomotive still exists.

Crud? [Harumpf - looking down my nose] INDEED!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds