Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Guthrie,Ok

Date: 12/26/08 14:38
Guthrie,Ok
Author: TPWman

We went up to Guthrie to day for some lunch at the depot.Only seen 1 train in 2.5 hours.Kinda expected more.

Any way a few pictures of the cars at the depot.Whats their story?

Date: 12/26/08 14:45
Re: Guthrie,Ok

more

Date: 12/26/08 14:47

last 1

Date: 12/26/08 14:53
Author: EastKSRailfan

As for the lack of traffic, I suspect it's because of the post-Christmas period, when there tend to be fewer trains, at least outside of coal corridors. I've not been to Guthrie in years, so the pictures you posted are new to me.

Carl Graves, Lawrence, KS

Date: 12/26/08 15:30
Author: KoloradoKid

>
> Any way a few pictures of the cars at the
> depot.Whats their story?

The cars come form the Dodge City (KS) & Bucklin tourist line. They had a nice Alco S-2 (or was it a 4) painted to match in that MoPac passenger like scheme. Prettiest ALCo switcher I had ever seen. Operation died a few years ago.

KK

Date: 12/26/08 15:43

Any idea where the Alco went?
Theres also some Heavy weights in the yard just south of the depot.

Date: 12/26/08 16:30
Author: Grande-Fan

The DCF&B 6601 Alco S1 was sitting at the Wilroads Garden,KS grain elevator on Dec 23rd 2008.
I was surprised to see it there, this is the first time I have found it out in the open in
7 years.
Nathan Z.

Date: 12/26/08 17:00
Author: wattslocal

What kind of trucks are on the ATSF caboose. Outside brakeshoes, that looks like the UP Q style wooden beam caboose truck. Do you have a clearer shot of that cab?

Wattslocal

Date: 12/26/08 18:33

No but I can go get one on Sunday.

Date: 12/31/08 18:50
Author: MisterPleasant

TPWman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Any way a few pictures of the cars at the
> depot.Whats their story?

About five years a group was organized to run an excursion train from Guthrie to near Enid. Perhaps the cars were assembled by that effort? The website of that group - the Denver, Enid, and Guthrie Railroad - is no longer active.

However I just came across a new organization by the name of the Guthrie, Crescent and Enid Railway Company, organized in October 2007. Website at http://gcerailway.org/index.htm. But they are looking for an RDC so those cars you found are likely unrelated.

I cannot imagine why there is so much interest in running an excursion train on that section of abandoned track, other than the fact the track is there and is apparently in fairly good condition.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds