Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Scenic Sub/North Portal trackwork day 3

Date: 08/02/09 21:04
BNSF Scenic Sub/North Portal trackwork day 3
Author: markgillings

North Portal/Broad Street day 3 recap...Here they are, finally, after a very busy end of week. With this track shift, away went the last little bit of OCS (Occupancy Control System) that was left in Seattle. It's all CTC, now.

1) The two 966 loaders remove the second of two old Main 1 panels to make room for the new turnout and it's turnout panel.

2) Meanwhile, the surfacing crew is busy lining over Main 1 so that it can hook up to the old Main 2 (new Main 1). You can see to left of the track that it has already gone over about four feet.

3) Amtrak #7 is ever-so-slightly late as it runs it's last two miles to King Street Station kicking up dust as it goes.

Previous threads:
Overview: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1984419
Day 1: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1985837
Day 2: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1986522

Date: 08/02/09 21:05
Re: North Portal/Broad Street day 3 recap...

4) Main 1 getting closer and closer to the new alignment. BNSF Signal employees should get the signal relocated closer to the track this coming week.

5) The ballast regulator and tamper operators check measurements. At each reference point, the center of the track is marked on a tie along with where the track should be in the ballast. That gives the tamper operator a rough visual on how far to throw the track.

6) At 1030, the grade for the turnout is just about ready. The 966s are the go-to-guys for digging grade. Not only because they have a larger bucket than the 950s, but the operators are exceptional at it and make a smooth level surface that minimizes surfacing time.

Date: 08/02/09 21:06

7) Now the turnout is in place. This is one of those times that I wish I wasn't helping move it! This location with the overpass and time of day was probably the best opportunity out of this entire construction project to get a shot with all the machines lined up dragging the turnout into place.

8) The business end of a 6700 tamper.

9) Everything is put back together. Tamp, tamp, tamp!

Date: 08/02/09 21:08

10) A couple from Friday the 31st. There was a five-hour resurfacing window. The regulator brooms out the frog area.

11) Next pass is going back winging off the shoulder while others are cleaning out the switch points.

Date: 08/02/09 21:48
Author: mtnwestrail

Always enjoy these posts, Mark. Thanks for taking the time to put them online and explain the action. I find it funny that you take most these while you are "working" the job.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 08/02/09 21:54

My pleasure. While I can't get everything and have to miss some really good stuff, there are times that I can away...like having to clear for trains or when I'm simply not needed at the moment.

Date: 08/03/09 00:07
Author: washybryan

Mark, you'll have to excuse me I haven't been keeping up... But are guys triple tracking from N.Portal through Interbay? Great shots!!

Date: 08/03/09 05:26
Author: signalmaintainer

Not triple-tracking, just shifting the mains to match new alignments brought about by the new arrangements at Galer St. and Magnolia. NP Main became Main 2, Main 2 became Main 1, Main 1 is now the D8 track for the grain yard.

Main 2 between Magnolia and 23rd Avenue is under construction. Later this year, CP 5.4 and 23rd Avenue are to be eliminated (5.4) and rebuilt (23rd), resulting in at least two main tracks from CP Milepost 16 on the Scenic Sub south to Nelson Bennett Tunnel in Tacoma.

And no more Occupancy Control System in Seattle. Yeehaw! Only one type of authority book to carry now.

Date: 08/03/09 13:00
Author: washybryan

signalmaintainer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not triple-tracking, just shifting the mains to
> match new alignments brought about by the new
> arrangements at Galer St. and Magnolia. NP Main
> became Main 2, Main 2 became Main 1, Main 1 is now
> the D8 track for the grain yard.
>
> Main 2 between Magnolia and 23rd Avenue is under
> construction. Later this year, CP 5.4 and 23rd
> Avenue are to be eliminated (5.4) and rebuilt
> (23rd), resulting in at least two main tracks from
> CP Milepost 16 on the Scenic Sub south to Nelson
> Bennett Tunnel in Tacoma.
>
> And no more Occupancy Control System in Seattle.
> Yeehaw! Only one type of authority book to carry
> now.

You sound damn happy about that Paul!! LOL... Ok, was just wondering.. So, now that I'm on the subject, are they planning on double tracking all the way to Everett then?? Just filling in the single track gaps one at a time then???

Date: 08/03/09 13:56
Author: nitewatchman

Great Shots!

Looks like a Spring Frog Turnout going in.

Date: 08/03/09 17:41
Author: signalmaintainer

washybryan Wrote:
> You sound damn happy about that Paul!! LOL... Ok,
> was just wondering.. So, now that I'm on the
> subject, are they planning on double tracking all
> the way to Everett then?? Just filling in the
> single track gaps one at a time then???

Sure am! OCS was awkward in some ways to use (e.i., a West Absolute Signal in OCS is the same as an Eastbound Control Signal in CTC). And when I was maintaining North Portal in Seattle I had to have a CTC authority book and an OCS authority book on hand. But I like best what a former FRA inspector said once: OCS was simply a figment of BNSF's imagination re: protection.

Yes, the plan is to double track all the way to Everett, from what I've heard. The tool house at Edmonds has already been moved to the west side of the main to make room for a new Main 2 there; the single track between CPs Milepost 16 and Milepost 18 will eventually disappear. The single track between Mukilteo and CP Milepost 27 is also supposed to be double-tracked -- again, "eventually" is the operative word.

Date: 08/03/09 18:33

nitewatchman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like a Spring Frog Turnout going in.

Yessir, a #15. Overkill for what is currently 10 MPH yard track. Must be built with future intentions.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0901 seconds