Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Portland's ORHF Holiday Express Question

Date: 11/30/09 10:53
Portland's ORHF Holiday Express Question
Author: markwhitt

I was hoping for some assistance from Portland railfans or whomever might be able to help me out.

I'll be in Portland this Friday and Saturday and I'm hoping to photograph SP 4449 pulling the ORHF Holiday Express train.

Where's a good spot(s) to photograph this train from?

Where does it run to?

Thanks!!
Mark

Date: 11/30/09 12:05
Re: Portland's ORHF Holiday Express Question
Author: 6ET

4449 will not be running this weekend, SP&S 700 will be doing the honors.

Date: 11/30/09 12:10

UUgghh. That hurts :-|

Nothing against SP&S 700, but SP 4449 was my reason for traveling to Portland.

Ok, I guess I'll be photographing SP&S 700.

Thanks for letting me know!!

Date: 11/30/09 13:21
Author: Brian894x4

The train leaves Oaks Park Station, which is right next to Oaks Amusement Park.

7805 SE Oaks Park Way
Portland, Oregon 97202

Engine faces south at all times. From past years, train departs Oaks Park Station and travels south approximateliy 1/4 mile to Spokane Street. From Spokane Street, train makes reverse move all the way to just north of the Ross Island Bridge (Powell Blvd). Then forward move back to Oaks Park Station.

There's a bike trail that follows the railroad the entire length of the Holiday Express route. The trail is built on what used to be the second track of a double track line, so you can get about close as you'd ever want to, to the train. Probably best to bring a bike if you want to efficiently move up and down the trail. Just park at Oaks Amusement Park like everyone else and you can follow the train on foot or on bike.

Alternative spots are from the field east of Oaks Park Station and from the bluff above Oaks Park. The best spot on the bluff is where SE 7th Ave and SE Sellwood Blvd join up. There's also from the Ross Island Bridge, but last year, the train usually stopped just north of the bridge, so I don't know if you can get a good photo from up there or not.

The best place to park to get on the Ross Island Bridge is just north of Powell (the street on the bridge) is Woodward St. Park at about 6th and Woodward, probably on 6th, so you're off the main drag and walk up to the bridge. If I recall correctly there's only a pedestrian walkway on the north end of the bridge.

There is one more spot...On Milwaukie Ave, near 16th Street is a parking lot to the Oaks Bottom Refuge Trail. From the parking lot, depending on foliage, you can see the train as it goes through the Holegate Curve. The trail will lead you down to the springwater trail and tracks down about south of Holegate Curve.

My personal recommendation is bring a bike and chase from the trail, parking at Oaks Park. All of the other spots mentioned will get you a few seconds to get a photo, but then you're done for the rest of the run as there's no time to reposition, especially if you don't know the area and only plan to chase one or two runs. Good luck!

Brian McCamish
Oregon Pacific Railroad Homepage
http://www.oregonpacificrr.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/09 13:27 by Brian894x4.

Date: 11/30/09 14:50
Author: nycman

Then come back the following weekend and you can photograph the 4449 doing the honors. Good stuff on the photo spots, Brian.

Date: 11/30/09 15:36

Thank you Brian with all that outstanding information!!

As for showing up the following weekend to photograph 4449, I wish...
I'll be headed to Korea (via Seattle instead of Los Angeles) for work on Sunday.
This weekend was my only chance.

Date: 11/30/09 18:32
Author: asheldrake

And so far we are looking at a dry weekend to begin Holiday Express 2009. My family will be on board Saturday morning.

Tickets are still available by way of: www.orhf.org And lots of rail related concessions stuff available for sale in the giant tent at the Oaks Amusement Park entrance. Enjoy your visit to Portland! Arlen

Date: 11/30/09 18:55
Author: Sedaker

The 700 is a beautiful engine, as is the 4449! Don't be disappointed, as we plan to put on a good display for the fans and general public! Of course, Doyle and his crew don't plan to disappoint either during the following weekend. Come by and see us and enjoy the show this weekend!

Steve Sedaker (PRPA)

Date: 11/30/09 19:30
Author: goduckies

Agree, the 700 is amazing, I watched it go a few years ago during the summer, and I got to ride in the Cab, it was amazing, I hope to some day ride in the cab of the 4449 if they do the same thing. Brad

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0648 seconds