Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Need an Alco Reverse Lever

Date: 04/14/03 13:58
Need an Alco Reverse Lever
Author: powerbraker1

Last Sunday, I had to use two screw drivers to manipulate the reverser on our RSD15 Alco. The Engineer on Saturday had misplaced our single reverse lever. If anyone has a reverse lever for an Alco they can spare, I sure would appreciate it.

Please contact me at the email address above.

Thanks,

Bob Currie
Austin & Texas Central RR

Date: 04/14/03 14:16
Re: Need an Alco Reverse Lever
Author: ohcr1551

Dunno if it will help, but I'm going to forward this to some folks who have some Alcos and see if they have any spares.

--Becky

Date: 04/14/03 14:35

Thanks, Becky. I appreciate it.

BC

Date: 04/14/03 14:36
Author: spnudge

Just get a peice of metal about 16 inches long by about 1/4 inch square. Measure the two tits inside and drill out two small holes and insert a exp. chim in the holes that stick up about 3/16s. Thats what the espee used on their old junk, alcos and the small GEs.Ithink they were made out out of alum.

Nudge

Date: 04/14/03 14:45
Author: superfleet

If that doesn't work you might try Casey Shepherd on the Arkansas & Missouri; he's an Alco genius!!

Date: 04/14/03 14:46
Author: kd4jsl

Bob,

I have what I think is a Alco reversor (may be a old style GE)..metal hadle with a grip, the part that fits in the control stand has two flat sides and rounded corners, with two small "tits" sticking up. Look like a Alco reversor anyway, but is just a tad longer than the ones we had on the MRS-1's...

you think that would work..its yours if you want it..I got it out of a bunch of shop junk a few years ago..

Emmett in Kentucky

Date: 04/14/03 14:52

Thanks, Emmett. I would like to give it a try, and if it doesn't work, I will send it back to you. If it does, you will have 2 free passes on the A&TC ($50 value) waiting on you when you come to Texas.

Bob C

Date: 04/14/03 19:11
Author: ATSF2324

Noe this is railroading to the max. You just have to help this next guy out!powerbraker1 wrote:

> Last Sunday, I had to use two screw drivers to manipulate the
> reverser on our RSD15 Alco. The Engineer on Saturday had
> misplaced our single reverse lever. If anyone has a reverse
> lever for an Alco they can spare, I sure would appreciate it.
>
> Please contact me at the email address above.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Currie
> Austin & Texas Central RR
>
> [%sig%]

Date: 04/14/03 20:23
Author: hoggerdoug

I've got one or two kicking around if you really need it.When the RS 18's were rebuilt with Cat engines the control console was not changed and still use the Alco/MLW style reverser handle. Have a GM handle as well heavy brass one, and it did come in handy, had 3 SD40's for pushers on the Tumbler sub (BC Rail) and not a reverser in any of them.
Doug

Date: 04/14/03 21:29
Author: Jim700

Bob's predicament has befallen a lot of engineers over the years. I once had to use a cold chisel for a reverser on a GP-9 in Eugene, Oregon.

Date: 04/14/03 22:12

You got that right, Jim! My worst experience was having to use a fusee for an independent brake valve handle on a GP7. I had to run light engine 36 miles to pick up a spray train. The engine was set out by a road crew, and it had absolutely no supplies whatsoever- no automatic brakevalve handle, and no independent. We deadheaded to an outlying point to take get the engine, and I just happen to have one of those old chrome reversers for the drum controller. No flag stick to cut down to make a handle- just a handful of fusees. I used a coin to block the bail down, but that fusee was all I had for the independent. I could get about 3 stops out of a fusee before it broke in half. Now, I could have just sat there and made someone bring me a brakevalve handle, but this was in the days when the Missouri Pacific was rated #1 in discipline. Since we were not issued reversers or brakevalve handles, we were not responsible for having them on an engine at outlying points. However, the engineer that set the engine out was responsible for seeing that the engine was properly supplied. I very easily could have gotten him fired (and moved up in seniority), but we took care of each other back then.

BC

Date: 04/15/03 11:25
Author: spnudge

If you need a reverser on a EMD, (Not the round controler) use a caboose key. Had to many a time when picking up a "New" motor with the old GPs or Fs. Now the old GEs, were a trip. The first were like the alcos. The next generation had this shaft that went into the slot on the panel but the end was like a trailer ball. You had to hold the base and pull the ball away in order for it to snap in. Then GE came up with the last type, a round shaft with two tits on it that you had to push in and turn to get it to work. Those were the ill fated controllers that the first notch was "Motor" and the second was "Braking". After too many accidents, everyone went to the EMD style control panel. The one that was really a no brainer was the FM switchers. There was just one handle. Up and back for reverse and down and back for forward. It was also the throttle. To lock the engine, you put the handle in the center and there was a hasp that swung over it and you locked it with a switch lock. How times have changed. There was still nothing like the EMD controller. You had to reallt beat the reverser into the hole bit it was a solid peice of metal. Really had to pull to get it out. They later came up with plastic ones but it just wasn't the same.

Nudge

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0537 seconds