Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP fuel tenders???

Date: 02/01/01 12:42
UP fuel tenders???
Author: pilotblue

Can anyone advise a source or posting for pictures and info on the modern fuel tenders that UP used a few years back? Who, what, where, when and why would be good. You know, like we learned in school. Thanks for all replies.

Date: 02/01/01 13:52
RE: UP fuel tenders???
Author: kevingillespie

Can't help you on the pictures, but I can tell you their background. They were built as tenders for the first batch of UP 4-8-4's Class FEF-1, #'s 800-819. When the 800's were retired they served as turbines for the gas turbines. The sole surviving FEF-1, #814 at Council Bluffs has one of the later centipede tenders that were used on the last two classes of 4-8-4's the more modern Challengers, and all the Big Boys. After the turbines were retired a group of tenders were converted to auxiliary water tenders for the steam engines, and I believe that some of them were used as fuel tenders for the rotary snow plows, although I may be wrong on that. The steam engine extra tenders were painted black for a while, but have since been repainted yellow.

Date: 02/01/01 14:14
Author: MMM

Try and pick up a copy of the Union Pacific Modeler Volume Three by the late Terry Metcalfe. I think that it will have some of the information that you are looking for including where the tenders came from.

Also Union Pacific Historical Society had a article about the fuel tenders, but I do not know what issue it was in.

Regards, MIKE

Date: 02/01/01 14:33
Author: up421

Union Pacific diesel fuel tenders by Michael M. McGowen appeared in Union Pacific Modeler Volume Three.

The tenders were tested beginning in May 1996. They were made from Class O-70-1 tank cars from the 70000-70199 number series. The tenders were numbered UPT 5 through UPT 8. The tank cars were originally built in the 1954-55 timeframe by American Car & Foundry. The cars were modified by Union Tank Car in Muscatine, Iowa. The cars were 51 feet long and had a capacty of 19,167 gallons.

The cars were used as part of an experiment and carried a logo that included the words Fuel Management.

Hope this is of some help.

Robert J.

Date: 02/01/01 18:15
Author: papio

Here's UPT 5 and a bit of UPT 7 last April in UP's Council Bluffs IA yard. They are in the area known as "Fox Park" which is where they stage the passenger fleet for road trips. I was thru there last Saturday and they and the remaining two others ere still stored there.
Enjoy~~~Ed

Date: 02/01/01 22:53
WELL DONE GUYS!!! AND THANKS
Author: pilotblue

and thanks for the picture, Papio. Does anyone know the future of these units?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds