Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Does the 1987 placard equal ethanol?

Date: 07/27/03 15:58
Does the 1987 placard equal ethanol?
Author: riff

Lately ( the past several months) there have been large numbers of ADM tanks in the Oakland area, placarded 1987. ADM, Archer Daniels Midland would generally be edible oils of some kind. 1987 is alcohol, according to my haz mat book at work. I'm adding 2 and 2 and may be coming up with 5, but I'm guessing these loaded tanks are ethanol. There have been as many as 50 at a time in East Oakland and I see them at the Shore faciltiy in Selby, which is a transload to pipeline facility. On Friday the Emeryville local went East with at least 30 loads. I've seen several threads on ethanol, but none specifically addressing the handling and destination of this product. Any clues?

Date: 07/27/03 17:05
Re: Does the 1987 placard equal ethanol?
Author: lrvto

1987 is the UN # for "alcohols" nos (not otherwise specified.)

Date: 07/27/03 17:17
Author: rbx551985

Ethanol. Yes that's what UN 1987 means. I'm informed that commodity is being used in an ever-increasing amount, so you may see more cars of that in the next few years. You might also see other cars than just ADMX (Archer-Daniels-Midland), as other companies jump on the band wagon and begin producing/selling/shipping ethanol. Also note the car reporting mark's numbers will be slightly different than those hauling Soybean Oil or Corn Syrup. That's another clue, and also that the ethanol cars are slightly LONGER than the bean-oil & syrup cars.

Date: 07/27/03 18:12
Re:Haz-Mat Placards
Author: DaveL

Is there a list somewhere of these numbers and commodities???

DaveL

Date: 07/27/03 18:15
Author: radiodude1460

The ethanol industry has boomed here in Iowa lately. Plants are popping up left and right all along the old CNW main. At last count there are at least 12 plants within the state. Expect to see a lot more ADMX cars out in Cali, since ehtnol is the main replacement for MBTA, which has become less popular lately out that way.

Date: 07/27/03 20:08
Come on guys, look up the answer
Author: lrvto

According to the Emergency Response Guidebook, UN1987 is Alcohols, not otherwise specified or n.o.s. as it is abreviated. Ethanol is UN 1170. So in answer to the posters question, it may not be etahnol in that tank. Probably is, but according to the placard it is one of the many alcohols. He asked what 1987 is specifically.

Date: 07/27/03 20:14
Re:Haz-Mat Placards
Author: MTMEngineer

DaveL wrote:

> Is there a list somewhere of these numbers and
> commodities???
>
> DaveL

I spent 5 years traveling the US and Canada teaching classes on these regulations, so am very familiar with them.

Column 4 of the Department of Transportations Hazardous Materials Table, shown in 49 CFR 172.101 of the Code of Federal Regulations lists the numbers used on placards, corresponding to various commodities.

A given number indicates a hazard class, such as alcohols. Other alcohols besides ethanol will be included in the same hazard class, based upon the volatility and flash point of the product.

This table may be found at
http://www.myregs.com/dotrspa/

Identification numbers preceded by the letters "UN" indicate that the same hazard classification is accepted worldwide in international transportation. Identificaion numbers preceded by the letters "NA" indicate classifications accepted in the United States and Canada that are different, usually less stringent, than the international standards.

Date: 07/27/03 23:39
Author: TopcoatSmith

radiodude1460 wrote:

Expect to see a lot more ADMX cars out in Cali, since ehtnol is
> the main replacement for MBTA, which has become less popular

Yep, we really don't like Boston's commuter trains out heeyuh. I know he means MBTE but couldn't resist the fun.
The rack at BNSF WIIF (Wilmington, CA is prgressing right along, plumbing goes in soon.

TCS - blah blah blah.

Date: 07/28/03 01:17
Author: dt8089

ADM has been placarding edible alcohol 1987 instead of 3065 to deter thefts of grain alcohol. When I haul ethanol or denatured alcohol for Cargill its placarded 1987 according to the shipping papers. However, pulling it out of Grain Processing of Muscatine IA it's placarded 1170 per their shipping papers.
We can haul Diesel fuel placarded 1203 (Gasoline) instead of 1993, but cannot haul gasoline placarded 1993. Confused? Don't feel like the lone ranger. Dan

Date: 07/28/03 02:59
Author: Topper

riff wrote:

> There have been as
> many as 50 at a time in East Oakland and I see them at the
> Shore faciltiy in Selby, which is a transload to pipeline
> facility. On Friday the Emeryville local went East with at
> least 30 loads.

The cars contain alcohol for Wickland Oil at Selby. They currently can only unload about 15 cars at a time, but are expanding to about twice that number. The product is indeed associated with MTBE.

The cars you've seen at East Oakland are there because of the mostly RCL related melt-down at Ozol, where the cars should be set out by one of the haulers out of Roseville - usually the MRVWS, but not always. However, they are now set out at East Oakland, are switched there, then are usually sent back east on a MWSRV for set out at the Pinole siding or at Ozol.

The number of cars stored at East Oakland varies, but can be as high as about 200. There are currently well over 100.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds