Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Flatonia, TX Rail Park Pavillion question...

Date: 11/06/12 10:09
Flatonia, TX Rail Park Pavillion question...
Author: lynngrove

If I happened to be in Flatonia, TX and stopped at the Rail Park Pavillion on a given Saturday afternoon...approximately how many trains might I see?

Thank You
Tim

Date: 11/06/12 13:30
Re: Flatonia, TX Rail Park Pavillion question...
Author: moltensulphur

I've been there twice and I can tell you this: It's a big roomy platform, has pretty good line-of-sight distances in all directions, located right at a junction, and is easy to find. But there just ain't that many trains! Sorry I can't give you numbers, but when the others chime in and do, it won't be much.

Date: 11/06/12 13:56
Author: PALuvR

I was there only one time but since the line between Houston and San Antonio runs east/west, I found less-than-optimal lighting for photography. Trains on the Giddings and Cuero Subs have good light (depending on the time of day) as they curve south towards San Antonio. Saw 7 trains in 5 hours but that was 2 years ago. I found a little better lighting from the south side of the tracks in town by the SP caboose and the interlocking tower on display.

I suspect folks who have been there multiple times can provide better photography insights than I. Just my observations.

Mike

Date: 11/06/12 19:01
Author: SP7615

As with most train watching sites it's a hit and miss. From my observations the best time is from 7am till around 11:30-45 with a lull for a few hours then the action picks up again in the late afternoon. 95% of the traffic will be on the Glidden Sub( Sunset Route)with a few South(West)bound trains making the turn to head west. Lighting is not that good but it is still worth making the trip and spending a few hours there. I have spent 6-7 hours and caught only 4 trains and another time was there only 3 hours and caught 9 trains.

SP7615

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds