Home Open Account Help 194 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Ex-MILW 4 Light Signals

Date: 11/07/12 08:51
Ex-MILW 4 Light Signals
Author: johnbresnahan10

Had my first look (as a passenger) at the ex Milwaukee line between St Paul and Chicago, and I noticed that the majority of the signal heads were a 4-light design which I've never seen before. Is the bottom light lunar white? Does anyone here have some information on this system? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Date: 11/07/12 09:30
Re: Ex-MILW 4 Light Signals
Author: DPM

The exact arrangement/order of lights depends on the aspects to be displayed. For example, a distant signal to a crossover often has four lights configured Y-R-G-Y and displays green for Clear, a single yellow for Approach, red for Stop (or Restricting if it has a number plate) and yellow-over-yellow for Approach Diverging. At a crossover, the signal may be configured R-L-G-Y and show green for Clear, yellow for Approach, lunar or red-over-lunar for Restricting, red-over-green for Diverging Clear, and red-over-yellow for Diverging Approach. When needed, some of these signals have five lamps (e.g. Y-R-L-G-Y); standard automatic block signals have three.

I find these CP signals very interesting since some aspects require more than one lamp to be lit on the same signal head/arm, which is not common on high signals in the U.S.

Dave Malohn

Date: 11/07/12 11:15
Author: BRAtkinson

The four-light signals went in after the Soo took over the Milwaukee and single tracked it. I was always wondering what the extra light was for. But since I moved to the east coast, I don't see much of anything outside of New England.

Date: 11/07/12 12:48
Author: johnbresnahan10

Thanks for the info. They are unusual signals indeed, but pretty efficient in the use of space. I wonder if they are unique to this line?

Date: 11/07/12 13:04
Author: LarryDoyle

johnbresnahan10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the info. They are unusual signals
> indeed, but pretty efficient in the use of space.
> I wonder if they are unique to this line?

The Ex-SOO now CP line from Shoreham to Withrow also uses 4 head signal heads, and I think the Minneapolis-Paynesville line also.

This one is right behind my house.

-LD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1308 seconds