Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > signal sunday from the seat . . .

Date: 11/18/12 13:29
signal sunday from the seat . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

. . during a run from Esperanza to the Port of LA in So California on BNSF's San Bernardino Sub, three different signal indications and three different signal mounts;
top: clear signal indication CP Hobart adjacent BNSF Hobart yard with left to right mains one through three, set out track (old north main) and straddle buggy track one.
middle: approach medium at Soto with left to right main one through four and I forget the name of the switching lead on the right?
bottom: a diverging clear at CP Redondo moving from the BNSF San Bernardino Sub to the Alameda Corridor Sub near downtown LA.
JB

Date: 11/18/12 13:40
Re: signal sunday from the seat . . .
Author: Alco251

Rode this same route in late afternoon a few years ago with a veteran hogger...I was amazed at the confusion of signals down there.

Date: 11/18/12 14:33
Author: EtoinShrdlu

It would be a great help figuring out which signal is facing you if they painted the back sides of the signal units (housings and backgrounds) silver like they used to.

Date: 11/18/12 14:58
Author: MrMRL

Nice views, Re: pic 2... "Downey Lead" is the track furthest to the right, "Long Siding" is the track furthest to the left (where the Santa Fe power is sitting). Remember ever switching Vopac off the Long Siding JB??? All I hear are the horror stories of all the spaghetti track that used to be back there...

Mr. MRL

Date: 11/18/12 16:27

Thank you. Never used the Vernon Lead much after heading to Watson. Also I was only referring to the mains. I definately remember the Long Siding and VCP back when they were switched three times a day once each shift and you had to take cars back and forth from the south to the north side of the mains at the other plant called Filtrol. And in the eighties there was also a very hot package customer (boxcars) adjacent to VCP where the UPS facility is now that used the same unprotected crossing which of course now has gates after all business moved out.
JB

Date: 11/18/12 16:56
Author: Notch16

EtoinShrdlu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be a great help figuring out which signal
> is facing you if they painted the back sides of
> the signal units (housings and backgrounds) silver
> like they used to.

Indeed. Throwing away a long-proven and common sense idea. These photos really illustrate that.

~ BZ

Date: 11/19/12 12:45
Author: RD10747

Really a change since my daze...Nice photos...On the left of #1
is 26th Street that had the aroma from Bandini Hill (fertilizer)..
and Morris P. Kirk Co..they salvaged old batteries and casings..
The other pix shows on the left..Filtrol Corp..they received
gondolas of clay from Cheto, AZ... near Chambers...We also had
a small CTC board for the area located in Hobart Telegraph 'HB'..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/12 12:52 by Agt-Highland.

Date: 11/19/12 14:10

Hobart Telegraph handled Hobart Tower to DT Junction. They filmed a commercial showing a skier on top of Bandini Mountain. Back when Hobart yard had 46 tracks with only a five track straddle buggy and you had to go to Redondo Jct to get your power, except for some of the yard jobs. Good days.
JB

Date: 11/20/12 14:22
Author: RD10747

During 1947, I have checked Hobart track 144-Levee Track, holding stored reefers. This was named 'levee' account was just south of Washington Blvd, and Hobart yard was lower than the street..
when it rained all the water drained from the UP yard across the
street and the levee track diverted it westward to runoff...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds