Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Redlands, CA wigwag

Date: 11/20/12 14:09
Redlands, CA wigwag
Author: sphauler

I am sad to report that the wigwag is gone. It appears that the pole remains which makes me believe that someone has stolen it. A sad day indeed.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/20/12 14:41
Re: Redlands, CA wigwag
Author: CPRR

From another board:

Date: 11-12-2012 - 14:24

Today, at least two or three induviduals with pick-up trucks and a rental lift removed the wig-wag at Nevada St. in Redlands, CA. The Redlands Police and the BNSF ROCC were each notified by a passing citizen, presuming that it might be a theft. Neither agency expressed much concern, but stated they would look into it and send someone out to investigate. No attempt by the concerned citizen was made to approach the individuals for reasons of personal safety.

I wonder how this will play out.

Date: 11/20/12 14:42

Follow up:

Hi the wig wag was not stolen it was removed by the SB Rail museum, and it will be installed there. they were given permision to remove it at their expense. it will be operational after it has been installed.

Date: 11/20/12 14:44

Follow up 2:

The former Santa Fe wig wag at Nevada Street, in Redlands, was NOT stolen. It was removed on Monday Nov 12th, with the written permission of SANBAG. It will be placed on display at the San Bernardino History & Railroad Museum contained within the Santa Fe San Bernardino Depot. www.sbdepotmuseum.com

It should be noted that we were at Nevada Street for about four hours, due to difficulty with the rusted bolts and parts. During the middle of this time period. at least one Redlands Police car drove by, and the officer looked right at us. The officer chose not stop, or say anything to us. Possibly it was the presence of traffic cones, a bucket lift, or my bright orange BNSF safety vest that convinced the officer, that we were there in broad daylight, removing this wig wag with permission. As requested by SANBAG, and CPUC, a crossbuck was bolted to the pole in place of the wig wag, at the required nine feet above the ground. BNSF donated the cross buck sign.

Our Museum VP, Allen Bone, and I had a good laugh, about 330pm, when we drove back across Nevada Street, on our way home. We had just returned the rented lift, and had a late lunch. We saw a Redlands policeman and a BNSF policeman standing at the crossing. Allen pulled over and said, "We are probably the people you are looking for." Allen is very cool, he is a retired Firefighter, and can meet and talk to just about anyone. We showed the emails and letters along with the wig wag banner and assorted parts, still in the bed of Allen's truck.

As for the "concerned citizen" being "afraid for their personal safety" what did that "witness" expect? That we would come after them with the can of liquid wrench, or was it that sawzall with the drained battery that scared them so badly?

Glen Icanberry
Redlands, CA

Date: 11/20/12 15:07
Author: kdrtrains

Good job Glen and all of the volunteers at SB.

Ken Rhoads
ARM

Date: 11/20/12 15:49
Author: Evan_Werkema

The Nevada St. wigwag in late 2000 when trains still ran out that far:

Date: 11/20/12 17:35
Author: wattslocal

Congratulations on the wig-wag, but ----

TAKE THE POLE ! ! !

You only got half of it.

Watts locak

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0379 seconds