Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > New Toys for Larry (LTEX) in Topeka

Date: 11/30/12 20:25
New Toys for Larry (LTEX) in Topeka
Author: bnsfsd70

Well, I'm not sure if their are more coming, but this rather diverse group of units was pulled out of storage, sold, and prepped for shipping in Topeka, KS today. The line includes SD9 #1717, SD39 #1921, GP35u's #2540 and #2525, and GP15 #1481. Hopefully the SD9 finds a good home somewhere, as I've always had a soft spot for these things.

More than likely they'll be picked up by tonight's M-KCKEMP, with them showing up back in KC tomorrow.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 11/30/12 20:51
Re: New Toys for Larry (LTEX) in Topeka
Author: santafe199

A sad sight, to be sure...

:-(

Date: 11/30/12 21:01
Author: stevelv

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A sad sight, to be sure...
>
> :-(

Would even be sadder if they were headed directly to the scrapper Lance. At least with them going to Larry's some of the units may get a second chance at life before turning into razor blades.

Date: 11/30/12 21:30
Author: SCL1517

Uhh, Larry's is kind of a Roach Motel for six motors--they check in, but they don't check out. They've been cutting up Buffalo & Pittsburgh (ex SP) SD45's, KCS SD50's, CSX SD45-2's, you name it. That Frisco GP15-1--they'll like it, but as for the six motors, well...

Date: 12/01/12 03:38
Author: WM303

The reason LTE is a place 6 axles go to die is they want way too much for them. Just this past week I was quoted $190,000 for one of their SD39s.

Compare that with the $90,000 I paid for my M-K rebuilt SD40-2 in 2011.

You're right about the geeps. They will show up on short lines, industrials, and grain elevators all over America.

Date: 12/01/12 07:11
Author: SCAX3401

WM303 Wrote:
> The reason LTE is a place 6 axles go to die is
> they want way too much for them. Just this past
> week I was quoted $190,000 for one of their
> SD39s.

Pardon my lack of knowledge about the fine art of used locomotive sales when you read this question:

When someone or some company goes to purchase a used locomotive from LTE for example, is the price they quote the "take it or leave it" price or can you wheel and deal? Basically what I want to know is it like buying a car from a dealer while price negotation is part of the experience or is it like buying a computer from BestBuy, the price on the sticker is what you pay. Thanks for any responses.

Date: 12/01/12 08:49

It' akin to buying a used car, but with such a large difference between their first offer and what I have paid for a superior product, it isn't likely that there is much negotiating room for me.

Date: 12/01/12 09:47
Author: EMDSW-1

BNSF6400 Wrote:
> WM303 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The reason LTE is a place 6 axles go to die is
> > they want way too much for them. Just this past
> > week I was quoted $190,000 for one of their
> > SD39s.
>
> Pardon my lack of knowledge about the fine art of
> used locomotive sales when you read this
> question:
>
> When someone or some company goes to purchase a
> used locomotive from LTE for example, is the price
> they quote the "take it or leave it" price or can
> you wheel and deal? Basically what I want to know
> is it like buying a car from a dealer while price
> negotation is part of the experience or is it like
> buying a computer from BestBuy, the price on the
> sticker is what you pay. Thanks for any
> responses.

A lot of it depends what you are looking for; for instance a SW-8, 9, 1200, 1500 goes for top dollar for industrials and grain elevators because of their simplicity to maintain, operate and fuel economy if you don't need a six-axle high horsepower unit. One could buy one of the LTEX GP-type units for less than an SW 1200 in similar condition. On an ALCO you can pretty much name YOUR price.

Six axle units are worth more as parts sources since you get more wheelsets, motors and switchgear as well as more pounds of scrap.

I've been buying, operating and selling locomotives for over 40 years and found this to be pretty much the rule. Our shortlines use only 4-axle EMD switchers due to parts interchangeability and maintenance familiarity

Dick Samuels
Oregon Pacific Railroad

Date: 12/01/12 10:01

< Our shortlines use only 4-axle EMD switchers due to parts interchangeability and maintenance familiarity

... which is the exact same reason we use 6 axle EMDs; parts interchangeability, plus significantly lower prices for SDs. My 2 GP9s are compatible; one has a 645 and the other has a 567 with 645 power assemblies.

The cost of 4 axle EMDs is inflated due to their demand as genset platforms/cores. To buy a blue carded ready-to-work second generation geep is going to be $150,000 and up. All of my 6 axle EMDs were $90,000 or less. There are hundreds of them in storage yards all over the country, and there are some bargains if you know where to look.

Date: 12/01/12 10:29
Author: RI4444

I see the 1717 has been fitted with an air conditioner,don't remember seeing that on a Hi Nose BNSF before.

Date: 12/01/12 10:52
Author: MEKoch

OOHHH! I want the pretty orange & green one under my Christmas tree!

Date: 12/01/12 16:19
Author: bnsfsd70

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
> More than likely they'll be picked up by tonight's
> M-KCKEMP, with them showing up back in KC
> tomorrow.
>
> - Jeff Carlson

As it turns out, the KCKEMP did NOT pick these up, and I'm guessing they may stick around Topeka for a little bit longer. There are still at least five more units in the shops complex, including one more SD9 with LTEX lettering on them, and at least one more GP15 in the East Field with LTEX markings.

- Jeff

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0809 seconds