Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Going Through the Archives

Date: 12/03/12 12:58
Going Through the Archives
Author: kodachrome9319

The job I'm on gives me between 56 and 72 hours off at home between trips, and today is cloudy, windy and flat out ugly, so I stayed home and I've started to cure boredom by flipping through my external hard drives and look at the "good ole days". Here's a few from the past couple years, that I personally like.

1) A heavy Roper-Roseville manifest has lost two of it's headend units and is down to 5MPH climbing out of Coldstream Canyon, shown here at Andover on Donner Pass. They'd soon stall on the wet rails and tie up the railroad for the rest of the day:

2) After spotting and pulling the paper mill at Pegs, NM BNSF's 211 local runs wrong main over the Gallup Subdivision heading back to Gallup behind a duo of blue and yellow GP60's:

3) A loaded iron ore train destined for Stockton, CA crawls through the Arnold Loop and over Silverzone Pass in Eastern Nevada:

Date: 12/03/12 13:05
Re: Going Through the Archives
Author: kodachrome9319

4) Back in 2009, UP 1995 led a Northbound special up the Coast Line towards Oakland, and is shown navigating it's way through Jack London Square in Oakland, CA:

5) A trio of Oakway SD60's idle under a starry sky awaiting room in Gavin Yard, this one near Aylmer, ND:

6) Emerging from the shadows, a UP grain train cruises West through the Feather River Canyon on a warm Summer morning in 2009:

Date: 12/03/12 14:25
Author: atsf121

Wow what a set of photos. Can't pick a favorite, though I like the Donner one a lot.

Nathan

Date: 12/03/12 14:54
Author: cchan006

It's great when you get bored. My picking #3 doesn't mean the rest of the images "sux". :-)

Date: 12/03/12 15:15
Author: icancmp193

#5 is pretty neat!

Tom Y

Date: 12/03/12 16:10
Author: chrisb

If you ever get bored railroading, you should become a professional photographer. Those are very good photos. You got "the eye"!

Chris

Date: 12/03/12 16:36
Author: SP8595

Some Great pics, must be nice to have all that time at home:}

Date: 12/03/12 17:01
Author: ironmtn

All excellent...but #3, oh wow!! Top of the tops in my book. Thanks for sharing these terrific images.

Date: 12/03/12 17:22
Author: AJnCorrie

Not a bad one in the bunch...Nice set...

Date: 12/03/12 19:55
Author: DynamicBrake

Very nice series indeed, however the first shot does it for me since I've camped at Andover. Thanks for sharing.

Kent in Carmel Valley

Date: 12/04/12 16:28
Author: pummer

If this is a "Greatest Hits" album, I can't wait for Volume 2. Nice stuff!

Date: 12/04/12 16:41
Author: hogantunnel

Mouth watering like Pavlov's pooch. All fine but #3 does it for me. Camped there many times contemplating the passage of the Donner Party in 1846 through Pilot Valley in the distance beneath Pilot Peak. Hope you have more from eastern Nevada.

Thanks, Mike

Date: 12/04/12 18:47
Author: ns1000

SUPER pics!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 12/20/12 23:10
Author: jkkeck

A search for "Arnold Loop" brought me to picture 3 and helped me find the rest of these great shots. I really like #5. The image of the train under a night sky in Minot reminds me of Van Allsburg's Polar Express. Thanks for posting these.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds