Home Open Account Help 165 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > San Diego & Arizona Eastern Railway News

Date: 12/13/12 11:30
San Diego & Arizona Eastern Railway News
Author: iliketrains

The owner of the SD&AE is the Metropolitan Transit Boatd (MTS) in San Diego. MTS has a board meeting today, with an agenda posted on line:

http://www.sdmts.com/MTS/documents/2012-12-13BOARDPKG_000.pdf

Starting on page 125 of the pdf is a new agreement between "Pacific Imperial Railway" and the SD&AE/MTS calling for the right to operate freight trains for 50 years with a fee of at least 1,000,000 per year. It also obligates PIR to complete repairs and runs freight trains.

It's an interesting read. It appears that at least one group remains interested in reopening the line. Time (and money) will tell if this occurs. The railroad is like a cat, with multiple lives. Let's hope concrete ties and ribbon rail are in the future!

Date: 12/13/12 15:17
Re: San Diego & Arizona Eastern Railway News
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Another model railroad most likely. Run the trains, no money, run more trains and even less money.

Date: 12/13/12 16:29
Author: fulldynamics

I've noticed this is a direct-contract SD&AE to PIR, SDIY is not involved.

With Genessee & Wyoming, taking over RailAmerica's SDIY. Changes should only be affected in the SDIY lines, not the desert line.

I wonder where PIR's money will come from? Is CZRY officially dead or what? Where do they have the railroad people to upgrade the Gorge for the Toyotas?

Date: 12/13/12 16:57

fulldynamics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've noticed this is a direct-contract SD&AE to PIR, SDIY is not involved.

I agree - it appears the SDIY is completely out of the picture. Maybe they wanted it that way?

>
> With Genessee & Wyoming, taking over RailAmerica's SDIY. Changes should only be affected in the SDIY lines, not the desert line.
>
> I wonder where PIR's money will come from?

Excellent question. As B&B Circus people once said .....

Is CZRY officially dead or what?

It certainly appears so.

> Where do they have the railroad people to upgrade the Gorge for the Toyotas?

Contractors. And millions of dollars. Ten's of millions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/12 16:59 by iliketrains.

Date: 12/13/12 18:49
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

A million dollars a year for the "privilege" of trying to run freight trains and trying to make a buck on a line that has historically been fraught with a long shopping list of problems? And the operating party is responsible for re-opening the line?

What a deal! Where do I sign on the dotted line?

Nothing mentioned about the former Tijuana & Tecate trackage in Mexico. That is a whole 'nother can-o-worms. The concession to operate that trackage was recently awarded to some businessman down there who has absolutely no railroad operating experience. He just was the most-skilled at greasing the palms of the appropriate politicians.

And what will happen to the Carriso Gorge Railway Police, and all their squad cars, firetrucks, armored-personnel carriers, bazookas and rocket propelled grenades that they bought with post-911 hysteria Government (i.e., taxpayer) funds?

Okay, I may have exaggerated a little here, but check out their "interesting" website:

http://www.cgrp.us/home.html

Perhaps the Carriso Gorge Railway was just a "front" to give a raison d'ĂȘtre for the more-important Carriso Gorge Railway Police.

Date: 12/13/12 20:39
Author: 2720

iliketrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The owner of the SD&AE is the Metropolitan Transit
> Boatd (MTS) in San Diego. MTS has a board meeting
> today, with an agenda posted on line:
>
> http://www.sdmts.com/MTS/documents/2012-12-13BOARD
> PKG_000.pdf
>
> Starting on page 125 of the pdf is a new agreement
> between "Pacific Imperial Railway" and the
> SD&AE/MTS calling for the right to operate freight
> trains for 50 years with a fee of at least
> 1,000,000 per year. It also obligates PIR to
> complete repairs and runs freight trains.
>
> It's an interesting read. It appears that at
> least one group remains interested in reopening
> the line. Time (and money) will tell if this
> occurs. The railroad is like a cat, with multiple
> lives. Let's hope concrete ties and ribbon rail
> are in the future!

DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!!!!
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/12 20:43 by 2720.

Date: 12/13/12 20:43
Author: 2720

All good questions posted about this subject!!

No real answers because PIR is a totally UNKNOWN
ENTITY.

This company was started by the Ethically Challenged
BENT folks that took over CZRY during a hostile
takeover back in 2007.

Not one a RR person!!

My question is, Who is PIR Fronting for??????????

Mike

Date: 12/13/12 21:22
Author: lwilton

Hum. If it was started by that rather ethically challenged group (a really nice term there), perhaps they are not fronting for anyone other than themselves.

What I don't understand is how they expect to run trains over this line from SD to points east without going thru the burned-out tunnel south of the border. Or what plan they have to get the line open.

Maybe they aren't actually expecting to run trains? If so, how are they expecting to get any money or graft? Maybe there is some other plan here we haven't thought of?

Date: 12/14/12 12:41
Author: PERichardson

They're not railroad people, not ethically challenged, and think they have financing lined up for rehab on both sides of the border. They also know ultimately they'll need to be able to haul double stacks on the line, which to me is the real problem going forward. I suggested to them they need to paint the units in black widow for a little historical touch. I wish them all the luck in the world. And no, I can't disclose who's involved but I think with the lease in place the deal could advance. Here's hoping.

Date: 12/17/12 14:28

I just hope they start the rehab from MP 59 (tunnel 3) and go east.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0654 seconds