Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Colton, Ca fly-over

Date: 03/06/13 20:14
Colton, Ca fly-over
Author: riorita

Two pictures of the west end of the Colton,Ca flyover.
The two middle supports stretch farther south to span the west-south double track connector to the north-south route at grade level. The tops of the same two supports seem to be higher than the rest of the flyover and I don't understand why.

Dick

Date: 03/07/13 07:56
Re: Colton, Ca fly-over
Author: rbx551985

It could be the DESIGN that the center posts appear higher: there might be an actual 'bridge component' deck-span which would be hoisted into place which would match up the "approaching levels" from either side of the higher supports when lowered onto the surrounding supports. (I hope I described that correctly as I'm envisioning it.)

When will this project be ready for trains to use?

Date: 03/07/13 10:40
Author: RRTom

Any detail shots of the walls at each abutment? They look like a type that I thought RR's generally don't use, so I'd like to learn if there's something new out there.
Keep us posted on progress!

Date: 03/07/13 13:03
Author: ToadHaul

The wall of of the flyover approaches are "mechanically stabilized earth" (MSE) walls. They consist of precast panels with grids (either galvanized steel or reinforced plastic - in this case galvanized steel) attached to the back and extending back into the fill behind the wall. Normally the fill is earth, but in this design it is lightweight cellular concrete and the grids actually are attached to both walls.

Date: 03/07/13 13:24
Author: RRTom

Thanks Mr. Toad. I've seen RR's reject MSE walls for supporting the tracks (as compared to a MSE wall holding up a signal berm which is OK) but maybe the lean concrete fill is the difference here. There may be a soil bearing capacity issue here which made a different type of wall more expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/13 13:27 by RRTom.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0351 seconds