Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Signal Sunday: Yocemento, KS

Date: 07/21/13 11:34
Signal Sunday: Yocemento, KS
Author: nwkrailfan

When the KP was upgraded in the mid-90's the Union Pacific opted for poor mans CTC, only installing signals around the super siding they had built. One such siding built was at Hays, Kansas...this siding was one of the last new sidings built west of Salina in the early 2000's. The eastbound distant signal for the siding at Hays is located a mile east of Yocemento, a grain elevator and not much else located along the KP mainline, the location once played host to a cement plant, grain elevator, and even a catholic church. Prior to 1947 the Union Pacific tracks ran on the north side of the elevator and made a slight curve to run along the river bluffs to the south, after several landslides the UP made the decision to realign the tracks to a straight alignment and cut across the river bottoms.

1) UP 4431 rolls west past the distant signal at Yocemento with a MSIDVX-17...the cars behind the power are what is left of the MSIDV-15 that derailed Monday night in Hays. Also, the 4431 carries a reminder to Keep Calm and Chive On, on the nose door in the form of a KCCO.
2-3) Turning around 180 degrees the 4431 is on the approach to Yocemento as it heads for Denver.

Thanks for looking!
nwkrailfan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/13 11:36 by nwkrailfan.

Date: 07/21/13 11:49
Re: Signal Sunday: Yocemento, KS
Author: coach

Great photos and explanation!

Every time I look at KP track, though, it looks like wet spaghetti with a train on top of it--bending everywhere!

Date: 07/21/13 12:01
Author: santafe199

A superb sequence of photos, pardner! A+

Lance

Date: 07/21/13 12:04
Author: waycar_rider

I really like #3. Don't know if you notice that you actually captured the sunlight coming through the annex windows. A very stunning image. Well done.

Gary A. Rich
Aurora, CO

Date: 07/21/13 12:46
Author: chester

I hauled grain into this coop in 1959. I know I am a old rail fan. I do but don't miss that country. Still try to get to Hays for the train show.

Date: 07/21/13 14:21
Author: 3rdswitch

Great series.
JB

Date: 07/21/13 14:23
Author: trainupaboy

This years train show in Hays will be October 20-21. Nice shots Luke!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/21/13 14:43
Author: chester

Are you sure about the dates? I show 19 and 20.

Date: 07/21/13 15:35
Author: SCKP187

Really nice Luke. Great part of the KP.
Brian Stevens

Date: 07/21/13 16:32
Author: trainupaboy

chester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you sure about the dates? I show 19 and 20.
I'm sorry you are correct..its the 19-20 of October.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/21/13 16:53
Author: MILW16

waycar_rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really like #3. Don't know if you notice that
> you actually captured the sunlight coming through
> the annex windows. A very stunning image. Well
> done.
>
> Gary A. Rich
> Aurora, CO

I've stared at the picture for about five minutes and don't see what you are referring to about sun through the annex windows. Please explain. Thanks!

Date: 07/21/13 17:52
Author: upkpfan

Luke,
Where did they take those cars to on Tue. afternoon? Hays siding or Salina? upkpfan

Date: 07/21/13 18:19
Author: waycar_rider

The annex is the silo between the main elevator and the train. Look at the windows really close. You can see the sunlight coming into the annex from the sunny side and it is coming out of the windows on the shaded side. Even some light is hitting the railings on the annex on the shaded side. You can see a bit of light from the big window that is on the end of the silo's (closest side to the train, the big window that I am talking about in on the end of the annex.

Gary
Aurora, CO

Date: 07/22/13 00:10
Author: 757guy

Terrific series of photos. You absolutely nailed the lighting on all of them. Well done! It never ceases to amaze me the great photo ops along the KP, whether you're actually in Kansas or west of the state line in Colorado.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0604 seconds