Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > impromptu railfanning in Denver

Date: 07/22/13 18:23
impromptu railfanning in Denver
Author: r3dw0rm

I had to pick up my mom and my girlfriend from the airport in Denver on Sunday so why not do some railfanning the day before?
This was a very unplanned trip which was basically just wondering around and not staying in one place for too long. This should be about 5 posts.

First stop was the Coors Brewery. I was going to try to take the tour but I missed the last group by about 15 minutes
But I did catch:
1. Coors C989
2. Coors C991

A quick google search on my smart phone revealed that I was pretty close to:
3. The Big 10 Curve

More to come Higher rez and more on my flickr account http://www.flickr.com/photos/r3dw0rm

Date: 07/22/13 18:28
Re: impromptu railfanning in Denver

Scanner activity made it sound like there was activity in the area so I drove up Blue Mountain Rd to check it out.

Paydirt!
4. Big Ten Curve UP7124 and 6958 Leading a coal drag with 3 mid train DPUs and 2 In the Rear
I got a little confused and over excited and didn't get to chase this one into town

so I headed to the North Yard in Denver where I found:

5. UP 1358 BNSF 9074 and UP 7967 (With doors open) on a repair track
6. UP 577 and GMTX 2117 kicking Hoppers in the North Yard Next to the Fuel Tracks

(more)

Date: 07/22/13 18:33

2 More views of the North yard (7. and 8.)

Then it was off to the next thing:
9. Warbonnet 556 and Green Machine 1961 Sitting idle in Rennicks Yard

Date: 07/22/13 18:36

Next was the 38th St Yard
10. BNSFF 2745 Green BN Paint and BNSF 1601 Switching Cars in the 31st St Yard (Probably my favorite of the day)
11. BNSF 8603 backs past BNSF 4199 Outside of the 38th St Yard
12. BNSF 5493 and 4199 Pull into the 38th St Yard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/13 22:58 by r3dw0rm.

Date: 07/22/13 18:44
Author: tomstp

Man, remember when that engine terminal would be filled with orange and black engines.

Date: 07/22/13 18:47

Then Off to the Denver Stockyards in search of the DRIR!

13. DRIR Y1083 Sitting in a sidding across the street from the Denver stockyards

14. DRIR 417 and Unidentified Red locomotive 2239 (Any Help?)

After this I started heading east towards the airport as the day drew to a close

15. Somewhere in east Denver a UP Work Train at rest beneath beautiful sunset / moon rise ( I think this might be a work train for part of the light rail
project out to the airport but that's just a guess)

I spent all afternoon and evening chasing trains around that all the hotels were booked up when i checked! So I drove all the way out to Greely to get a hotel room. Time was short so I didn't get to do any railfanning from Greely to DIA the next day. But I'll be back next weekend!

I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed just exploring from place to place since I don't get down out of the mountains very often. I hope you enjoyed. Any comments or criticism appreciated. If any one in the Denver area is interested in linking up next weekend send me a private message! Thanks!

Date: 07/22/13 20:01
Author: wheelnrail

Great catches! You even caught some of the seldom seen Denver and Rock Island power!

Date: 07/22/13 21:23
Author: DynamicBrake

That last shot is truly EXCEPTIONAL, thanks for sharing a great series.

Kent in Carmel Valley

Date: 07/22/13 22:33

Thanks! I have a real camera with some real glass I just need to learn how to use it. I feel like I'll miss moments like that messing with the camera and getting frustrated with equipment. So for now its just the point and shoot.

Date: 07/22/13 22:38
Author: Pinlifter

#10 is 31st. Some great stuff around Denver.

Date: 07/22/13 22:59

Thank you! Updated the post. Still learning my way around the city.

Date: 07/22/13 23:59
Author: Bob5446

Great pictures! Really like seeing all the yard pictures - does that cover all the yards in Denver or are there more? Last picture is fabulous. Thanks.

Date: 07/23/13 00:14

I think those are the two big ones. I have a good feeling I'm just scratching the surface though! I tried to get a shot of silver yard but couldn't really get to it. You can see it from I-70 west bound though. I need to do some more exploring to try and find a good place to get shots there. There is also the Brighton yard and a yard over by 8th ave I want to look into. This was just a run and gun mission. If I have time at work or at home this week (doubtful) I'll TRY to have more of a plan next time. :)

Date: 07/23/13 16:43
Author: RAILFORCE

GREAT SHOTS !!!

Date: 07/31/13 11:44
Author: ns1000

SUPER pics!!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0666 seconds