Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cascades crossing the Columbia

Date: 07/26/13 17:52
Cascades crossing the Columbia
Author: lamta_jay

I will cross post this here and in Passenger Forum

Fourth of July weekend my wife and I took a short trip to Portland and I always stop at the old Northern Pacific Passenger Depot. Here is what I thought made a nice shot. 9025 with the Mt Olympus Talgo train set with P42 # 25 in Push mode.

I love this location, I love RR bridges !

Thanks for looking...See you Down the tracks ?

Jay

Date: 07/26/13 18:11
Re: Cascades crossing the Columbia
Author: tomstp

Surprised to see a derail on the main that close to the crossing.

Date: 07/26/13 18:22
Author: SD70ACe

Better going to the ground then to the water!!!

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Surprised to see a derail on the main that close
> to the crossing.

Jorge Luna
Gardena, CA
Trains on dvd

Date: 07/26/13 18:28
Author: DTrainshooter

Excerpt from historylink.org

"On November 5, 1908, a special train carrying Empire Builder James J. Hill and his party rode across the new Willamette and Columbia River bridges, formally inaugurating rail service between Portland and Vancouver. The 2,806-foot-long steel-truss bridge, a product of the era’s famed railroad-bridge designer Ralph Modjeski (1861-1940), was heralded at the time as the longest, double-track railroad bridge in the United States.

A swing span allowed for river traffic. Construction took 26 months. Regular passenger service over the bridges commenced on November 17, 1908, and by the following spring 16 trains a day served Vancouver. There were more to come. In January 1910 the Union Pacific began stopping in Vancouver en route north, followed in June that year by the Great Northern.

The Columbia River bridge, still in use, is located immediately south of the Vancouver Amtrak depot, where trains from Portland turn east along the Columbia River or continue north to Kelso, Centralia, Olympia, Tacoma, and Seattle."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0458 seconds