Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A few Oregon and Idaho shots from today

Date: 09/28/13 18:23
A few Oregon and Idaho shots from today
Author: ns2557

Was making another journey across the PNW today from Wenatchee Wa east and south twds Temple Texas eventually. While coming into the Nelson/Weatherby area along I84 I passed an eb Stack Train on the UP thru here. Got a shot or 2 at Nelson, where the cement plant is off of exit 330, (BTW, those WURR RDC Units are still there). After heading east again and looking for more shots to take possibly I saw the tunnels that ya see here. The date on the one on the right is 1929 not sure about the abandoned one on the left. But, here is UP 8699, the rear DPU on the UP 7725E. A colorful stack train, all Red "K"Line containers. A "Red Wall" so to say. That's the Burnt Rvr the train is crossing just before entering the bore here.

The next 2 shots were at MPI/Boise. 2 new units for Australia were outside when I went by. From what I have been able to find, these are MP33C's. CFCLA units 3302 & 3304. Under wraps was the 3303 and abit further east was another one, but could not get a unit number on it. What I find interesting is the names on the units, under the Eng window. 3304 is "Hi Jinx' and 3302 is "Rim Fire". Note the horse behind the cab on the hood. Pretty neat paint job if I must say so..

TFL. Ben

Date: 09/28/13 18:39
Re: A few Oregon and Idaho shots from today
Author: SCAX3401

Good photos, thanks for sharing. That tunnel is called simply Tunnel No. 6 and is 518 feet in length. The old, abandoned bore on the left dates back to the line's original construction in 1880-1884.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/13 04:58 by BNSF6400.

Date: 09/28/13 18:42
Author: ns2557

BNSF6400, Thanks for the info on the tunnels. Have been past them many a time and never got out the Track Charts to see what they say about them. You answered my questions about them. Thanks again. Ben

Date: 09/30/13 06:01
Author: rosevillebill

Hello

I can answer the question as to the names on the CFCLA loco.

The names are of famous historical Australian race horses.

Our Painting engineering designer (who is in charge of designing/drawing MPI's locomotive paint schemes)showed me the drawings for these locomotives, all the race horse names were listed, but the only one I recognized was "Phar Lap".

Nice catch on the K-Line train as well. I have a hard time catching that train in good lighting conditions, in the 3 years I have lived and photopgraphed in Idaho, I have only captured this train once.

RosevilleBill

Boise, Id.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds