Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF O TOPSAG


Date: 10/03/13 17:11
BNSF O TOPSAG
Author: nikon1

I received notice from bnsfsd70 on the BNSF O TOPSAG that had been consisted outside the BNSF Coach shops waiting on it's 10/03 departure. So, I took half a day off from work, dad napped my dad today and made an afternoon of some train chasing. Rather than chase the train itself, I opted to catch the train between Carbondale and Scranton. While traveling the back roads in Osage Co, I crossed the Topeka Sub at Lewelling Rd which is a straight away between two westbound curves. The BNSF was re-routing eastbounds on the Topeka Sub and today was no exception. I noticed head and ditchlights to the west as I just as I arrived at the crossing. JIT to catch an eastbound piggy stack. About 20 min later, I heard another eastbound grind upgrade only to be surprised by an eastbound empty ethanol train. An hour later, the track inspector whizzed by. The O train didn't arrive until 4pm. Enjoy.
Charlie
MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub
1) eastbound piggy stack approaches Lewelling Rd
2) eastbound empty ethanol approaches Lewelling Rd
3) O TOPSAG 01-03A west approaches Lewelling Rd








Date: 10/03/13 17:42
Re: BNSF O TOPSAG
Author: bnsfsd70

Nice catch on that O-train. I was busy reading your text when the signals started going down at MP71.

- Jeff



Date: 10/03/13 17:47
Re: BNSF O TOPSAG
Author: nikon1

Had your phone but, not your camera with you. The Iphone is good but, doesn't beat a camera. You definitely need to constantly take your camera with you.
Charlie
MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub



Date: 10/03/13 17:55
Re: BNSF O TOPSAG
Author: bnsfsd70

nikon1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Had your phone but, not your camera with you. The
> Iphone is good but, doesn't beat a camera. You
> definitely need to constantly take your camera
> with you.
> Charlie
> MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub


Oh, man, I know! I had taken it out of the car last night, and it just didn't make it back this morning.

Regardless, its nice to have video every now and then.

- Jeff



Date: 10/03/13 18:00
Re: BNSF O TOPSAG
Author: santafe199

Good job, Charlie! I can imagine a semaphore blade (horizontal, of course) & the pole line with 4 or 5 cross rams filled with communication wires.
Toss in a bright red F nose...

Lance



Date: 10/03/13 18:05
Re: BNSF O TOPSAG
Author: nikon1

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good job, Charlie! I can imagine a semaphore blade
> (horizontal, of course) & the pole line with 4 or
> 5 cross rams filled with communication wires.
> Toss in a bright red F nose...
>
> Lance


Thanks Sir L. That is the one big thing I miss about this line, the Semaphors. Those blades sure made rail fanning this line much more fun.
Charlie
MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub



Date: 10/03/13 18:10
Re: BNSF O TOPSAG
Author: Frontrunner

O.K. why are 2 tankcars in front of the spacer car in photo #2. Kinda defeat the propose of crew protection don't you think.



Date: 10/03/13 18:49
Re: BNSF O TOPSAG
Author: Milw_E70

Frontrunner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> O.K. why are 2 tankcars in front of the spacer car
> in photo #2. Kinda defeat the propose of crew
> protection don't you think.

Non-placarded cars carrying a highly deadly thing called WATER.



Date: 10/03/13 19:12
Re: BNSF O TOPSAG
Author: nikon1

Milw_E70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Frontrunner Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > O.K. why are 2 tankcars in front of the spacer
> car
> > in photo #2. Kinda defeat the propose of crew
> > protection don't you think.
>
> Non-placarded cars carrying a highly deadly thing
> called WATER.


This is when the cars are the most dangerous as the fumes from the liquid ethanol is left in the cars.
Charlie
MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0557 seconds