Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Good Afternoon, 1989!

Date: 12/21/13 17:29
Good Afternoon, 1989!
Author: NorCalRails32

Last night, I had received word that Union Pacific's "Denver and Rio Grande Heritage Unit" 1989 would be heading south on the ZBRLC-20 hotshot intermodal freight. I didn't know where the unit was in the consist, but this morning I noticed it was on the point when it passed the Dunsmuir Webcam. Yes!

I was a bit concerned that the train would run down the Central Valley after sunset as it usually does, but today I lucked out. UP 1989 flew down the Valley and Fresno Sub, enabling it to make a daytime appearance in Stockton.

Photo 1: UP 1989 and the ZBRLC-20 crosses over the Alpine Avenue grade crossing. The train had stopped just short of the crossing before receiving permission to continue down the Fresno Sub.

Photo 2: A roster shot of the 1989.

Photo 3: An up close and personal shot of the cab, with the engineer sharing a wave and a couple toots of the horn.

NOTE: I am having technical problems with uploading my video to this site, so if you are interested, my video is now on YouTube under the title:
"UP 1989 Leads ZBRLC-20 Through Stockton, CA (12/21/13)"

Enjoy, and thanks for watching!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/13 17:45 by NorCalRails32.

Date: 12/22/13 01:03
Re: Good Afternoon, 1989!
Author: cchan006

Nice catch, Nick!

That friendly engineer found the "oomph!" button on his EMDs. I missed the train by seconds at Elk Grove, and he would have beaten me to Eight Mile Rd., had he not gotten color between Acampo and Lodi. When DS 56 asked him to verify whether he had a set out at Lathrop or not, I knew he was stopped near N. El Pinal ("Alpine") so he can take Main 2. That gave me enough time to stumble onto a Calrailfans meet at Stockton Diamonds to meet up with friends, many of them members here on TO.

Three locations in the video I'm posting, at Eight Mile Rd., Stockton Diamonds, and at Lathrop where the ZBRLC is departing after finishing work. Before the set out at Lathrop, the train had 322 axles.

For the intermodal foamers, the Lathrop set out starts at the Werner Express piggy behind the FedEx piggy at 1:22. That includes all the 53' boxes behind the three Werner piggys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/13 01:05 by cchan006.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0725 seconds