Home Open Account Help 203 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Portland Fremont Bridge bike/walk (views of Albina yar

Date: 08/11/14 21:31
Portland Fremont Bridge bike/walk (views of Albina yar
Author: jdb

I guess it is an annual event now where Portland (OR) has a bike ride/walk that crosses some of the bridges in Portland. The longest bike route is 33 miles. The bike/walk was yesterday and the newspaper today said there were 18,000 bikes. You don't have to do all 33 miles....you can choose much shorter routes that include the bridges of your choice.

Walkers can take part also and several times I've hiked the Fremont bridge. Always with the intent of getting a picture of Mt. Hood from downtown Portland. Every year the sun has been out but it has been a white sky on the horizon and you can't see Hood. I have to settle for a view that looks down on the UP Albina Yard.

You can get up close and personal to the beams that make the "tied arch" Fremont bridge. There are access hatches to the inside of them so you can go to the top.

The Fremont bridge is I-405. They close the upper deck or southbound lanes. The I-5 bridge, northbound lanes are closed for the bike ride/walk. If you are northbound on I-5 through Portland you have to take I-405 and the lower deck of the Freemont. If you are southbound on I-5 you have to skip the Fremont and take the lower deck of the I-5 bridge. Then double back into downtown Portland. You really don't want to be anywhere near any of the bridges when Portland has its bridge bike/walk.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/14 21:54 by jdb.

Date: 08/11/14 21:36
Re: Portland Fremont Bridge bike/walk (views of Albina

Here is the zoo at the top of the Fremont.

An Albina to Lake Yard transfer from the bridge.

Looking downstream from the Fremont. Barely see Lake Yard at the left edge. The two towers of the BNSF bridge are barely visible this side of the green St. Johns bridge.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/14 21:55 by jdb.

Date: 08/11/14 21:42
Re: Portland Freemont Bridge bike/walk (views of Albina
Author: BigDave

I take it the "all of the bridges in Portland" DOESN'T include railroad bridges... :)

Date: 08/11/14 21:47

OK. I'm half right about "all" the railroad bridges. Not the BNSF but it does include the Steel.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/14 21:48 by jdb.

Date: 08/11/14 21:51
Re: Portland Fremont Bridge bike/walk (views of Albina
Author: ActionMike

Fremont Bridge...

Date: 08/11/14 21:52
Author: wesleygreer

Great shots! It also looks like you caught the 5,000th GEVO, UP 7964, in the shop tracks.

Date: 08/12/14 05:47
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE...!!! Thanks for posting.

Date: 08/12/14 07:44
Author: asheldrake

Nice photos. UP should get a few points for preserving the Albina shops smoke stack. It is on the city historic register but nothing else.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds