Home Open Account Help 201 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP-Flashing Red Signal?

Date: 03/12/01 20:36
UP-Flashing Red Signal?
Author: spf

Hi, I have a question regarding UPs current signal rules. In the SP System Special Instructions from 1994 and at <A HREF="http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc29506/index.html&quot;&gt;Carsten S. Lundsten's web page</A>, in particular the SP indications <A HREF="http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc29506/rr/signal/us/aspects/sp1996/sp1996.html&quot;&gt;page&lt;/A&gt;, it lists a variety a signals with flashing red or lunar aspects that indicate to proceed at restricted speed. But, in the UP timetable I have from 1995, only those signals with lunar aspects (except the yellow over lunar approach restricting) indicate proceed at restricted speed. Any signal with a flashing red aspect indicates a flashing stop and proceed, where the train must stop before proceeding at restricted speed.

On the BNSF, the flashing red also indicates proceed at restricted speed, but how does the contemporary UP treat flashing reds? Have they held on to there rule of stop and proceed, or adpoted the SP rule of proceed at restricted speed?

Date: 03/12/01 20:57
RE: UP-Flashing Red Signal?
Author: SDP40F

The UP's flashing red is a Proceed at restricted speed, not exceeding prescribed speed through tournout. A solid red signel with a number plate would be, Stop before any part of train or engine passes the signal then proceed at restricted speed to next signal.

Date: 03/13/01 01:27
Author: CSX_Hoghead

From my days on the BNSF, a red signal at an intermediate signal
(number plate on the signal mast) meant stop and proceed (same on NORAC) a red signal with a "G" sign on the mast basically meant to proceed without stopping because of being on a grade. Flashing red on the BNSF was the same as a lunar signal, which is restricting.

Date: 03/13/01 06:23
Author: Xingman

Myself and another signalman had a conflict just the other day about flashing signals. Is there such thing as a flashing green?

Xingman
http://home.internetcds.com/~xingman/

Date: 03/13/01 07:19
Author: Pj

I have seen a flashing green on amtrak. It was a solid yellow above a flashing green. There is a switch down the line however..

Date: 03/13/01 07:34
Author: Bob3985

ON the UP flashing red is a stop and proceed at an absolute signal, stop before any part of the train or engine passes the signal and then proceed at restricted speed to the next signal. And we do have flashing green signals here. A red over flashing green means proceed on diverging route not to exceed the turnout speed not to exceed 40 mph. A yellow over flashing green means proceed speed passing next signal must not exceed 60 mph. This was for the high speed equilateral switches the UP installed.
Bob Krieger

Date: 03/13/01 09:30
Author: richmp412

Xingman Who won? Yes there are flashing green on the Santa Fe opps BNSF.

Date: 03/13/01 10:57
Author: JimAbney

Used to be, Bob3985, a stop on a flashing red at an absolute signal, but not any longer. UPRR System Special Instructions Rule 9.2.12 now permits passing a flashing red absolute signal without stopping.

Date: 03/13/01 16:11
Author: Xingman

I lost. I was sure that I read in the 236 rules that it is prohibited to have a flashing green. Of course, I couldn't find it in my little blue book at the time, so I surrendered gracefully. Glad I did. I guess you can have flashing greens, yellows, and reds. I just swear I read somewhere that wasn't the case. Oh well, I give up. :-)

Thanks everybody for setting me straight.

Oh, and by the way, according to my grandpa's SP rule book dated 1960, they also had a flashing white. Yes, a flashing white, not lunar.

Xingman
http://home.internetcds.com/~xingman/

Date: 03/13/01 17:38
RE: Flashing Green
Author: myfordbrowning

In the AT&SF 1966 rules, rule 281(A) was a flashing green Approach-Limited, Proceed;approach next signal not exceeding limited speed, and be prepared to enter diverging route at presribed speed. Limited speed was defined as a speed not exceeding 60 mph.

This indication was used when a signal with only a single head was before the signal at a high speed switch. The eastbound intermediate signals at Fullerton, Calif. at one time displayed this aspect. The major problem with this aspect was that the flashing aspect was more restrictive than the solid aspect, the opposite of flashing yellow or flashing red. If a crew missed the fact that the indication was flashing, they would proceed at too high of a speed. The Santa Fe replaced this type of signal with a two head signal that displays yellow over green.

Myford Browning

Date: 03/13/01 19:48
Author: knucklepin2001

Here in Texas the only thing that we have that flashes is an advanced approach(proceed @40 mph prepared to stop at the second signal).Anything else we turn in to the dispatcher as a "pumping" signal.Like you metioned,down here we're looking for that white light,or your ass better not get by that signal!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds