Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Update on the UP #942 at OERM

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/09/14 21:46
Update on the UP #942 at OERM
Author: TomPlatten

Finally, after many days and hours working against a deadline, the UP 942 was running under its own power this afternoon at OERM. Richard, Dave and Carl stopped the water leaks and solved the electrical bugs and took the locomotive for a stroll out of the car barn and up to Middleton siding.
Both prime movers were running and the locomotive was deemed suitable for limited use. All parties realize that there are other power assemblies that are "marginal" and will eventually have to be serviced and/or replaced. But for now the 942 can be called on when needed. It will probably be housed in car barn four so it can be viewed by the public after this weekend!
Photo #1 shows the engine compartment looking fairly presentable after the power assembly replacement. Photo #2 shows 942 getting rinsed off by Dave prior to its test run. Photo #3- off she goes!!!!

Date: 10/09/14 22:01
Re: Update on the UP #942 at OERM
Author: UPNW2-1083

Was out there today in the narrow gauge car barn setting up our g-scale layout for UP's family day this Saturday and saw you guys cruising around the property. Sounded and looked good. Will be back tomorrow and Saturday.-BMT

Date: 10/09/14 22:08
Author: mmciau

Well done to this group for preserving an old locomotive.

Michael McInerney
Marion, South Australia,

Date: 10/09/14 22:44
Author: Red

And the UP 928 is where? I guess I should use the search function but recall beautiful repaint photos of it from a year or two ago, but do not recall any info of it's mechanical condition aside that it can lug itself backward and forward for a few feet at restricted speed. (I'm not being insulting...just wishing that both of these A-Units were able to run full throttle at 100 MPH...seeing as to how the UPRR isn't doing a darn thing with their E9s, and at last report, E9A still stranded in Kansas City for whatever reason).

I know it took a lot of hard work to "get it right" with the UP 942 and congratulations. Maybe someday enough $$$ will come in for full power assembly replacement and even a crankshaft returning/replacement. Meanwhile, you folks are taking care of this historic artifact!!!

Date: 10/10/14 00:05
Author: Seventyfive

Looks especially sharp! The attention to detail is A+ and I like those alternating color bands above the pilot, and am glad to see a nose door. Thanks to all for your hard work and thanks for the great photos.

Rich

Date: 10/10/14 00:14
Author: Red

Yes, great attention to detail!!! And she is PRESERVED!!!

BTW, any news on the ATSF FP45 on the premises?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/14 21:18 by Red.

Date: 10/10/14 05:47
Author: ats90mph

Red Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And the UP 928 is where?

OERM, Perris, CA...

Date: 10/10/14 06:19
Author: UPJeff

I believe that is wrong information I think the UP 928 is in Cheyenne, WY.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 10/10/14 07:40
Author: UPTRAIN

This thing looks amazing. You folks can certainly be proud of your hard work.

(There's a more appropriate horn up there, too! Last I saw it was a P3.)

Pump

Date: 10/10/14 07:45
Author: TheGrande

Can we see a before and after!?

Date: 10/10/14 08:42
Author: atsf121

Great job guys, appreciate all the hard work. Hope to get down there someday for a visit.

Nathan

Date: 10/10/14 08:49

These photos were taken about two years apart!

Date: 10/10/14 09:10
Author: wingomann

The nose door, dual headlights and nose grab irons make the front of the 942 look better than UP's two rebuilt E9's. I don't know why the lack of a door on the E9's looks so weird but it makes the fronts look boring - like they are missing something. It's probably because it is a lack of detail. I know, it's just dumb model railroader mentality, but in my mind I just expect those details to be there.

You OERM guys have done an outstanding job restoring the 942. Have fun operating her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/14 09:13 by wingomann.

Date: 10/10/14 09:43
Author: MojaveBill

Fantastic! Thank you all!!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 10/10/14 11:36
Author: joeygooganelli

It would be nice of the UP to donate some PAs for this engine. They did a heckuva a job making it look wonderful and it represents the UP very well. Look at all the help NS has been giving to local museums who are preserving their heritage. UP could certainly donate the same and write off the taxes. I'd still love to see the SLSW 819 given some track time for the same reason.

Joe

Date: 10/10/14 14:35
Author: stampedej

Hooray! U.P. 942 looks GREAT! Amazing work Tom & Co. at OERM! I'm also looking forward to a visit someday soon.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/10/14 14:36
Author: EMDSW-1

What version 12-567 does she have; A, B, BC ?

Dick Samuels

Date: 10/10/14 16:57
Author: KD7ZST

joeygooganelli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be nice of the UP to donate some PAs for
> this engine.

Its been a long time since the UP Supply Dept. had 567 PAs in stock. When I was involved with ordering locomotive parts at UP 10+ years ago, there were still UP part numbers for them in TSOOMH but none of the system warehouses had any in stock.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/14 21:26 by KD7ZST.

Date: 10/10/14 19:39

I believe it is a B! We will have to make a decision between chrome and steel liners in future change outs. I hope the UP folks at the Picnic tomorrow realize how hard 4 or 5 people worked getting the old 942 ready! We consider her fragile!!!!

Date: 10/10/14 21:08
Author: davew833

The UP E9's each have single 645 engines, so no help there for 567 power assemblies. The vandalized, gutted carbody of E8 #928 rests on the ground near the Cheyenne roundhouse. It is owned by a private individual and not by UP. I agree that #942 is more visually interesting with the nose door and nose door light, which was a unique feature to Union Pacific's E8s. the E9s were not built with a nose door light.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0615 seconds