Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > ex-SSW "GP62" at Rest in Lawrence, KS

Date: 10/20/14 20:02
ex-SSW "GP62" at Rest in Lawrence, KS
Author: bnsfsd70

After dinner in the old Kaw Valley Line interurban car barn (Free State Brewery), I stopped by the UP depot in Lawrence, KS tonight and found a welcome surprise. For some reason, the Lawrence Local power was parked on the trackage just south of the depot, as opposed to its normal spot about a half mile to the east in the yard. This allows for far better access and much better lighting.

From what I can tell, the UP GP60 #1085 was just recently renumbered and outshopped by Quality Rail Services in E. St. Louis into this "GP62." Any thoughts on this upgrade program? Its the first that I've heard of it, though the Loconotes group mentions this back in May, 2014, along with a few "SD62s."

Thanks,
Jeff Carlson

Date: 10/20/14 20:17
Re: ex-SSW "GP62" at Rest in Lawrence, KS
Author: imrl

Tied down there because someone keeps stealing the horns. Puts the locomotives in a much more visible spot making keeping an eye on it easier for a passing police officer. And having driven around Lawrence in the early AM, there are police by this location constantly.

As to the GP62 designation? No idea. I know these have recently gotten PTC and rear ward facing track image recorders for long hood forward operation on single engine locals.

Date: 10/20/14 20:17

Well sure enough, this pair of engines was discussed in Rich's thread just below:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3554573

- Jeff

Date: 10/20/14 20:20

imrl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As to the GP62 designation? No idea. I know these
> have recently gotten PTC and rear ward facing
> track image recorders for long hood forward
> operation on single engine locals.

Long-hood forward? Like this one that I shot at Midland back in July?

Interesting!

- Jeff

Date: 10/20/14 20:29
Author: imrl

Yup, just like that. You can see the rear facing camera right below the right headlight.

Date: 10/20/14 20:37
Author: alamode

GP62 and SD62 programs basically reposition the control stand to make it easier to operate in either direction.

Date: 10/20/14 22:34
Author: MitchGDRMCo

"60" series, "2" directions? Best I can think of.

Date: 10/20/14 22:54
Author: BelltuckyFoamductor

alamode Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GP62 and SD62 programs basically reposition the
> control stand to make it easier to operate in
> either direction.

Doesn't sound too much unlike the NS "Bi-directional" stand. A single stand but repositioned to be to the side of the engineer instead of angled to the front.

Date: 10/21/14 05:14
Author: ns1000

NIIIIIICE....!!!

Date: 10/21/14 09:49
Author: jimB

Is the only mod the control stand? They seem to be the favored power for San Francisco (some still patched SSW) and I can't see any obvious changes other than PTC equipment being added.

Jim B

Date: 10/21/14 09:50

Btw, it's worth mentioning that I used the "flashlight" on my iPhone for a portable lighting assistance on this shot. This was the first that I had done this, but it certainly did a good job of lighting up the foreground and trucks/underframe.

- Jeff Carlson

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0459 seconds