Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > From Pounding Spikes to the Board of Directors

Date: 11/19/14 23:19
From Pounding Spikes to the Board of Directors
Author: MartyBernard

"Track repairer Jack Burton marks 50 years at Alaska Railroad"

http://progressiverailroading.com/people/news/Track-repairer-Jack-Burton-marks-50-years-at-Alaska-Railroad--42634

Marty Bernard

Date: 11/19/14 23:27
Re: From Pounding Spikes to the Board of Directors
Author: 2720

Now this is someone who IS qualified to sit on a railroad's Board of Directors!!
Started at the bottom and went up from there and showed what running a railroad is all about!

Mike

Date: 11/20/14 09:00
Author: railstiesballast

Some of the very best RR leaders started out with summer jobs, often in the MofW or as switchmen.
This gave them a good balance between practical railroading and the engineering and business courses that helped them get promoted.
People who have worked in the ranks can learn more about leadership and communication than in any formal college coursework.

The advent of student loans seems to have dried up the desire to pay for college by working summer and odd hour jobs. Why work when Big Finance will loan you money for your education?

Date: 11/20/14 12:42
Author: CP_M260

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Why work when Big Finance will
> loan you money for your education?

As someone who is currently working 40+ hours per week, AND going through college, I must point out that your statement is completely skewed. Student loans don't pay for college in the sense that you write, rather they serve as a loan - to be paid back with interest. In fact, they usually leave people in debt up to their eyeballs, thanks to near double digit interest rates approved by our congress. If I could finish college ONLY paying out of pocket, no loans, no credit - believe me I would. My institution, not unlike others, will drop you from classes if you haven't paid tuition in full by a certain date after enrollment. And, since I don't have $5,000 - $6,000 lying around every few months, I have to work to pay for my education.

-Dalton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/14 13:28 by CP_M260.

Date: 11/20/14 12:48
Author: Lackawanna484

The Reserve Officer Training Course also provides valuable financial assistance to people willing to consider a military commitment or lifetime. Although many high schools won't discuss the program or allow recruiters on campus, and many colleges have banned ROTC, the benefits are huge for people who qualify and are motivated to succeed.

Date: 11/20/14 18:14
Author: PHall

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Reserve Officer Training Course also provides
> valuable financial assistance to people willing to
> consider a military commitment or lifetime.
> Although many high schools won't discuss the
> program or allow recruiters on campus, and many
> colleges have banned ROTC, the benefits are huge
> for people who qualify and are motivated to
> succeed.

Your thoughts about ROTC are about 20 years out of date.
After 9/11 many of the schools that banned ROTC welcomed them back.

Date: 11/20/14 21:32
Author: up833

Check the latest..many ROTC programs are cutting officer billets because of major cutbacks in the armed services. Its not so bright as it was a year or so ago.
RB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0333 seconds