Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > ID---Short UP - Z Over Donner

Date: 12/14/14 21:32
ID---Short UP - Z Over Donner
Author: kalthoff

Saturday, UP ran a short W/B- Z around noon out of Sparks. The leader of the two units was 5623. What was the symbol for this train? I suspect it may have consisted of Oakland's inadvertently cut out at Sparks.

Date: 12/14/14 22:43
Re: ID---Short UP - Z Over Donner
Author: neilgross

Was this the train with all domestic containers mounted on spine cars? If it was, the consist was actually 5463/5298. I caught it near Shed 10 around 2PM. I thought it must have been the Lathrop-bound section of an Oakland train or the Oakland-bound section of a Lathrop train.

Date: 12/15/14 06:22

Yes on the consist and you are right on the locos.

Date: 12/15/14 06:50
Author: SP8595

UP 5463, 5298 on the ZSPOAX-13 (Premium Intermodal-Sparks-Oakland-Extra) with 3 loads.

Date: 12/15/14 14:57
Author: PCX

SP8595 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> UP 5463, 5298 on the ZSPOAX-13 (Premium
> Intermodal-Sparks-Oakland-Extra) with 3 loads.

Hmmm...didn't hear about that one, but not surprising, being as we are now in the Xmas rush season; must have been a hot UPS move. UP did run a very short ZOAG2X out of Sparks a couple of weeks back with one unit, so I assume that was probably some priority LTL biz as well. Probably be a few more of those run before Christmas is upon us.

Date: 12/15/14 22:01

Not a suprising move; UP will do anything to hold onto (and expand)the UPS business into and out of Northern California, where they have an equal or maybe superior route to BNSF. Such a move is not without president, years past I've heard that the Santa Fe would run as little as a single missed trailer all across their system for UPS.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0235 seconds